Are Doctors Leaving There Professions?

Hi guys,

I was talking to a few Physician Assistants in my local hospital and saying that, I wish I've could have been a doctor. However to my surprise, many of the PA's have told me that it was a good idea on NOT being a doctor and went a different route in life! They also said doctors today are really not enjoying the good life like they use to 20-30 years ago. Many that go into Internal Medicine have become "Paper Pushers" and are leaving for many reasons.

Some reasons are being underpaid, high-stress, huge work loads, low rembursements, and being bullied by the insurance, and pharmaceutical companies. When I heard this, I couldn't believe what they were saying.

Now I don't know if this is true or not, so any information is good to hear. Is this true?

• Dale
    Favorite Answer

No, anyone making $100 to see a patient for five minutes shouldn't be whining.

I can only offer you examples from my life but they resonate with what your Physican Assistants have said.

My GP retired last year at the age of 62. He hung on as a sole practitioner and had planned to work until he was 65 but exhaustion took its toll. He told me that all his problems started around the time Hillary Clinton tried to push Hillarycare into law. This was the early 1990s. The HMOs came into ascendancy and it was very hard for doctors to continue as solo practitioners. My GP didn't want to join a group practice. He said medicine is a healing art, not an assembly line practice guided by the profit motive.

My surgeon also retired and went back to Lebanon. He said he just can't work here anymore and was going to take an early retirement.

I lost my gastroenterologist of 8 years. He gave up the profession earlier this year. We are in desperate need of gastros in my area. We have one that isn't taking new patients because he just doesn't have the room for new patients. There's one on the other side of town whom I do not get along with as we have two very different ideas of how my disease should be treated. There's a gastro that communtes two hours one way twice a week to see patients.

It's not that we aren't looking for new gastros, it's that medicine is no longer a lucrative profession. Many doctors aren't making enough money to pay their insurance and continue to pay off their college loans. I can't say I blame them. It's just unfortunate that the people who suffer are the patients.

• J M

Ask your doctor. I've heard doctors complaining about being pushed around by insurance for years. They are paper pushers, and have to hire extra staff just to handle insurance company paperwork. They no longer have final say on how to treat patients, insurance companies call the shots and tell them what treatments are considered most "cost effective". And insurance companies also deny paying for treatments if they don't consider them necessary.

Your medical decisions are not made by your doctor, they are made by insurance companies.

Don't you understand the need for health care reform yet? Healthcare for profit is all about you getting less so your insurance company can get more.

Most doctors treat some patients for free, because it is very painful for someone who wants to practice medicine to turn sick people away because they can't get insurance.

The Government isn't telling them how to practice, the insurance companies are.

• fullem

i admire my occupation. maximum days, i like it. this is a remarkable paying pastime for me. If I had of project to bypass away it without surprising sacrifices to family contributors, i'd. i'd desire to locate a job like a lawyer, the place my strategies would want for use plenty, a procedures much less tension (confident, in comparison to drugs), and that i'd be making a similar earnings interior of a decade. yet to have much extra a$$ - hollow$ to deal with in judges and common legal specialists? No hazard. the government is a large number, the employer is stupid (furnish centers with a promise of "repayment"), and people suck, easily. Six figures to a clever human is in elementary terms a minor accomplishment, the equivilant of having a sparkling automobile and making the money and having a goddamn plasma television and HD cable DVR to a baseline human. smug? confident. honest? confident additionally. playstation Holly Jane : you're an uninformed pinhead, for my section, and are an interloper, possibly a paralegal, or a legal specialists' spouse. Your opinion is biased and crappy, and borderline. To all docs, i think of she is borderline. What do you all think of?

Very much true: Read today's Wall Street Journal. Doctors take home $27.50 an hour. I work with them and all (except one-- and she is a nut) wish they could do something else. the government tells them how to practice and it is a frustrating and non-rewarding job.

That's interesting that you got to talk to doctors first-hand.

Yes, as are lawyers.

All professions suck.