Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

What would be the perfect song to play in the background of a best friends movie?

I'm making a movie for my friends and i need the perfect song to play in the background. Suggestions?

Favorite Answer

Love songs seem to be everywhere in pop music. Songs about friendship, a special type of love, are a little more rare. However, there are still many to choose from. Enjoy this list of 10 of the best, and share any of your favorites that you think are left out.

1. "You've Got a Friend" - James Taylor - 1971

"James Taylor - Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon"Courtesy Warner Bros.

This song was written by Carole King and included on her landmark album Tapestry released in 1971. The definitive version was recorded by King's friend James Taylor and his recording of "You've Got a Friend" hit #1 in 1971. It is Taylor's only #1 pop single.

"You've Got a Friend" has been recorded many times since by artists ranging from Barbra Streisand to Yemeni singer Ofra Haza. Few other songs come close to this song's simple poignance of friends helping and supporting each other.

2. "Thank You for Being a Friend" - Andrew Gold - 1978

"Andrew Gold - All This and Heaven Too"Courtesy Asylum Records

An entire generation knows this song as the theme song to the TV show Golden Girls from a version recorded by Cindy Fee. However, the song first entered the public conscience in a 1978 version by the song's writer, pop musician Andrew Gold. The song is a perfect expression of gratitude to those treasured people we call friends.

3. "Lean On Me" - Bill Withers - 1972

"Bill Withers - Still Bill"Courtesy Sussex Records

Soul legend Bill Withers introduced this song in the early 1970's It went straight to #1 on the pop chart and became a contemporary pop standard. Club Nouveau took it back to #1 in 1987 with a more upbeat version.

4. "I'll Be There for You" - The Rembrandts - 1995

"Rembrandts - I'll Be There For You"Courtesy Atlantic Records

Best known as the theme song for the TV series Friends, "I'll Be There for You" was written specifically for the show by Michael Skloff and Allee Willis. There were no plans initially to release the song as a single, but demand from fans eventually forced the Rembrandts to record a full-length version and the song, in a commercial version, reached the pop top 20. In a similar vein to the show, "I'll Be There for You" celebrates the humor in friendship.

5. "Put Your Records On" - Corinne Bailey Rae - 2006

"Corinne Bailey Rae"Courtesy EMI

The song that brought Corinne Bailey Rae to the attention of pop fans around the world is a glowing tribute to friendship. Only a true friend would sing to you a song of support like this.

6. "That's What Friends Are For" - Dionne Warwick and Friends - 1986

"Dionne Warwick - Friends"Courtesy Arista

This classic affirmation of the support friendship provides was first recorded by Rod Stewart for the soundtrack to the movie Night Shift in 1982. The song was written by legends Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager. Dionne Warwick entered the studio with Elton John, Gladys Knight and Stevie Wonder to record the song as a benefit for the American Foundation for AIDS Research, and pop music history was made. The single spent 4 weeks at #1 and earned 2 Grammy Awards.

7. "Wind Beneath My Wings" - Bette Midler - 1989

"Soundtrack - Beaches"Courtesy Atlantic Records

This song had a rather humble beginning. It was written by Larry Henley and Jeff Silbar and was first recorded in 1982. Lou Rawls brought it into the pop singles chart at #65 in 1983. Country singer Gary Morris took it into the country top 10 the same year. However, it was Bette Midler's performance of the song as a eulogy for a friend in the movie Beaches that made the song an unforgettable classic. "Wind Beneath My Wings" won a Grammy Award for Record of the Year.

8. "With a Little Help From My Friends" - Beatles - 1967

"Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"Courtesy Capitol

Yes, indeed, friends can help get you through times of romantic trouble. Just ask Ringo. "With a Little Help From My Friends," in its definitive version by the Beatles, was never released as a single. However, Joe Cocker took a version of the song onto the pop charts in 1968.

Susan Boyle - "The Gift"Susan's new album is here & features "Perfect Day." Get it now!amazon.com/music

9. "Umbrella" - Rihanna - 2007

"Rihanna featuring Jay-Z - Umbrella"Courtesy Def Jam

There is a bittersweet tone to Rihanna's megahit "Umbrella," but at the core of the song is a salute to the enduring power of friendship.

10. "Kind & Generous" - Natalie Merchant - 1998

"Natalie Merchant - Ophelia"Courtesy Elektra

"Kind & Generous" is a multi-purpose thank you song, but it works as an elegant and eloquent thank you to friends.

Check out the jazz tune "Friendship" by John Mclaughlin from the album "Electric Guitarist"...I always thought the melody of that tune would be great for a video (it doesn't have words though).

How Am I Supposed To Live Without You by Michael Bolton

Sequoia Throne by Protest the Hero

depends on your style..

there is the toystory song.. the one that goes "youv'e got a friend in me"

there is the rob and big theme song

there is a country song by garth brooks i think.. "my best friend?"

there is a nate dogg... "Where i wanna be"

or you could do a song that all of you guys have hung out and played together. or that all of you guys like?

Source(s): off the top of the head.

the time of my life by Green Day