Betsy
Betsy asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 1 decade ago

Will you boycott the stores that won't acknowledge Christmas?

Quoting from a news story on Fox, these stores are among others that refuse to use the word Christmas in any in-store displays and prohibit their employees from greeting customers with "Merry Christmas". Everything is "Holiday" instead. Included are Gap, Victoria's Secret, Banana Republic, Barnes and Noble, Old Navy. If you are a Christian, please don't shop at these stores. Let's use our wallets to send the message that we believe Jesus is the ONLY reason for the season. If you aren't Christian, I'll pray for you.

Jesus IS the only reason for the season. And I hope you 3 love heat!!

• Cammie
    Favorite Answer

Remember Jesus didn't celebrate christmas.

He was a Jew.

The holiday didn't even exist when he was alive.

Why do you want strangers to acknowledge YOUR holiday and not others ?

Selfish.

If you knew your history, you would know that Jesus is NOT the "reason for the season." In fact, some very strict Christians refuse to celebrate Christmas because of its pagan origins.

Even so, why would you want stores to use only Merry Christmas, which is only for Christians, when instead they can say Happy Holidays and include everyone? Don't you think non-Christians deserve a nice holiday greeting, too? What would you rather hear, Happy Holidays or Happy Kwanza?

I'm not a Christian, so you can add me to your prayer-list.

Actually, the reason for Christmas predates Jesus by 1000's of years. Not far from here is a place called Newgrange which is a celebration of the Winter Solstice, and it was around 2500 years BC. In fact, it is thought that Jesus' real birthday is in March or April, so the one thing this time does NOT celebrate is Jesus' birthday. The celebration was hijacked by the Christians to try to impose their beliefs on the Pagans, and it clearly has worked, with the result that you and Fox believe that being Christian means opposing the teachings of Christ (remember the "do unto others..." rule?).

In any case, there are many other celebrations at this time of year: Channukah, Kwanza, etc., so if a store decides to accept people of all beliefs, they are to be applauded. The wicked are those who judge others and try to exclude and hurt people: this included you.

...though I am open to your beliefs, I think that it is just not to offend people, not that the stores are saying they have no beliefs in jesus, or whatever...whether you like it or not, other hollidays in this season calibrate the season for other reasons than yours. I think it is generally wrong to say that you have a problem with stores saying "happpy hollidays" just because what you believe is what you think is right. IT is the holliday season, there are several hollidays happening now.

I have a feeling boycotting them will not be as helpful as you think, considering they are multi billions...

I do understand where you are coming from...but some people (those who celibrate other ... I was raised to look at it both ways, and I was also raised to believe in what I chose, so that may be part of it...I do love christmas though, so...

Merry CHRISTMAS ;)

Well, I think part of this may be regional, as I have gotten a "Merry Christmas" at more than one of these stores in the past week. Honestly though, as bad as customer service is these days, I'm happy to find any jovial employee, regardless of what type of 'merry' they are wishing me.

If Jesus is truly the ONLY reason for the season, you shouldn't care about buying presents in the first place. What does putting presents under the Christmas tree have to do with the birth of Jesus? NOTHING.

GET OVER YOURSELF!

That's where I'll be buying my Winter Solstice presents and my Festivus gifts! Happy Holidays!

Interesting. I am fed up with Christmas decorations coming out in early November, but had not noticed the wording. I will watch out for it in Australia.

Lol nothing can get me away from Victoria's Secret! Nice try.

thank you for telling me some of the stores i need to shop at extra