Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 decade ago

Is there any way to limit the memory size on Windows XP/Vista/7?

The rest of the RAM is giving me errors and makes the computer unusable. So, I want to install (and use) any version of windows and the only way is "blacklist" the second half of the ram (it's one memory module).

It's not my laptop, so I can't replace memory or install Linux (they support this feature).

Any idea?

It's only one memory module of 2gb. The first "half" is working the second is not working.

Limiting ram is working on Linux. Memory speeds are not a part of the problem, I checked it, as well as updating the Bios

Memory tests are failing completely above 1024MB. No operating system can boot, no live cd's.

How about booting into your BIOS. (Press DEL while system boots) usually there is an option in there to downgrade your RAM speed. If such option existsa, knock it down a notch and see if that helps.

Hope this helps

• Zarn

Sure. Pop open your computer, take one of the memory modules out.

• DrDave

I guess you would have to explain what errors you are getting for me to understand what your problems are. Limiting ram damn sure is not going to solve it and most likely will make it worse!

There is no way to do that, unless your BIOS support that. but I don't think so.