Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

is Judaism based on race or philosophy?

What forced me to ask this question is a news i have red about Ethiopian tribe that lives in Ethiopia being reintroduced to Judaism only because they have lineage to an earlier Israeli tribes.

Favorite Answer

answer: Religion. It is NOT a race nor ethnicity because there are Jews of every ethnic group.

You can change your religion and no longer be considered Jewish.

You cannot change your ethnic background.

Here's an experiment: look up photos of Yaphet Kotto, Alyson Hannigan, Paul Newman, Adam Sandler, Natalie Portman, Lauren Bacall and Harrison Ford

Are Jews one ethnic group? Obviously not - all of them were born Jewish.

Source(s): and "uses" needs to actually use his brain. He's lying and knows it - he's been shown his error plenty of times.

It's not an Ethiopian 'tribe' but a cultural group who have identified as Jewish and clearly were once part of the Jewish 'family' but through isolation and lack of contact have developed a form of Judaism that is not compatible with modern authorities. They're not being reintroduced to Judaism per se, but being enabled to meet the criteria for being understood as Jewish in the modern world. In particular, there are some issues concerning Jewish status as well as forms of worship.

Judaism is based on religion. It is not based on race.

• JP

Not a race. It is more akin to membership of a family; once you're in, you're always in, but you don't have to be born into it. If you are a Jew by birth or by conversion, you will always be a Jew.

Since you can be of any race and convert, and because the descendants of any Jews are Jews, then Judaism clearly does not have anything to do with race.

Judaism is best described as a very large family who have undertaken, or whose ancestors have undertaken, an oath to uphold a series of specific behaviors. There are no required beliefs (dogma) in Judaism.

originally, it was a belief system. but now, in the modern world, being a follower of the Jewish religion is closely linked with the middle Eastern race. This could be the reason by jews feel attacked by a simple attack at their religion-they have become unable to differentiate between their race and their religious dogma.

• Moi

It is actually based upon faith in God and his salvation. Paul explains it best when he says that not all Jews are Israel. Abraham was rewarded for his great faith - not his pedigree.

Mat 3:9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to [our] father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Gal 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

Gal 3:7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.

=========

Rom 9:1 In the presence of Christ, I speak with utter truthfulness--I do not lie--and my conscience and the Holy Spirit confirm that what I am saying is true.

Rom 9:2 My heart is filled with bitter sorrow and unending grief

Rom 9:3 for my people, my Jewish brothers and sisters. [fn] I would be willing to be forever cursed--cut off from Christ!--if that would save them.

Rom 9:4 They are the people of Israel, chosen to be God's special children. [fn] God revealed his glory to them. He made covenants with them and gave his law to them. They have the privilege of worshiping him and receiving his wonderful promises.

Rom 9:5 Their ancestors were great people of God, and Christ himself was a Jew as far as his human nature is concerned. And he is God, who rules over everything and is worthy of eternal praise! Amen. [fn]

Rom 9:6 Well then, has God failed to fulfill his promise to the Jews? No, for not everyone born into a Jewish family is truly a Jew!

Rom 9:7 Just the fact that they are descendants of Abraham doesn't make them truly Abraham's children. For the Scriptures say, "Isaac is the son through whom your descendants will be counted," [fn] though Abraham had other children, too.

Rom 9:8 This means that Abraham's physical descendants are not necessarily children of God. It is the children of the promise who are considered to be Abraham's children.

I see it as a religion, not a race, as anyone can convert.

Jewish is the race Judaism is the religion

philosophy (a bad word for it...)

race. none chiness be jews

Neither, it's based on myths.

• :)

its a race. jews believe you can only be born a jew if your mother was a jew. regardless of what people say now, that is their belief.