PeonyTea asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

What exactly is wrong with me?

This year, everyone in my family has been diagnosed with some mental illness or the other. My mother believed that I had ADD, so she took me in to get screened, and indeed, the doctors believe so too.

When I'm in class, when the professor speaks, I immediately zone out. I am never still, never, ever. I can't sit in a seat and not have one part of my body moving, whether it be my hands fiddling, doodling in my notebook, or shuffling my feet. Is this ADD/ADHD?

I just have this nagging feeling that it is more than that.

What is wrong with me?

I get extremely nervous around people, yesterday I had to do an oral presentation to my language class, and my heart was thumping so hard that I felt it in my mouth. My head was swimming, I couldn't think straight, and I was sweating so hard. Somehow I got through the presentation with no mistakes, but I thought I was going to faint. Everyone else in my classes get along fine, but I can't seem to find words to say. I could literally stay quiet all day, and not one person would talk to me, or I wouldn't start a conversation with anyone.

I don't have a good perception of myself. Recently I've begun to think that I inflect inwards, instead of outwards, like most girls my age. (I'm 18). I'm usually very hung up on what people think of me, and if someone thinks I'm strange, or if maybe I smell. You could say I'm paranoid to an extent.

If I'm sitting in a class with people, and they start laughing, or even if one looks my way, immediately my mind is filled with all sorts of things that they could be thinking about me, and none of them good.

My shyness is to the extent that I don't have any real friends, aside from one girl that I met in the second grade. I'm not even sure if she's my real friend since she slept with my ex boyfriend and is still keeping it from me.

I'm just so confused.

• Mike
    Favorite Answer

You could have ADHD, yes. I believe it is over-diagnosed in America, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You were anxious about giving an oral speech - you share that with 99% of Americans, it's normal.

You worry about what other people think of you, and are insecure about your appearance - you share this with 100% of people in the entire world.

You are shy, which can exaggerate these things, but it is part of your personality and not the result of a mental disorder.

It sounds like you do have ADHD with the fidgeting and inability to focus; however, the feeling you described when you had to make an oral presentation at school could be two things. You said your heart started beating real fast, your head was swimming and you were sweating. These are all symptoms of a panic attack which can be controlled by an anti-anxiety medication like Xanax, Valium or Klonopin. Panic attacks can come out of nowhere (called indogenus meaning from within or extrogenus, meaning from a situation). If you get another one, don't freeze up on it - it will only make it worse. Instead, try to tell yourself that you've had this before, it can't hurt you and it will pass quickly. If you feel physically stunted, then walk around or if you're at home, start cleaning. If they persist, you might want to ask you doctor to give you something for them. As far as not finding the right words to say, this could be social anxiety (which is what I have). It's an awful feeling and you do get the impression that you are being watched and judged. I lost several jobs over it. You should tell your doctor about everything that is going on and he should be able to give you something that will provide relief. Good luck and God bless you.

Yeah, that sounds like ADHD to me. My bestfriend's brother has it so I'm familiar with it.