Autumn
Autumn asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

What's your opinion on traffic cameras?

for running red lights and speed?

Favorite Answer

I think they simply are a money grab for municipalities. The tickets are for the car, not the driver, so no points are lost on one's license.

• While I understand everyone's point of view, my husband was almost killed by a man rolling through a red light, turning right. Since there were no cameras, it was his word against the driver's (husband was on a bike). Because my husband was unable to give his statement (being taken to the hospital) the cop took the driver's word that my husband had run a light on his bike.

Two court appearances and $1000 in hospital charges later, my husband was able to have the charge of running a red light dropped, because a witness came forward who happened to be going through the green light on the other side of the street at the same time and saw what happened.

Ironically, a few months later he received a ticket from a traffic camera of him rolling through a red light turning right on his way to work. I told him he was lucky someone wasn't crossing the street!

I think they are a good idea. Police cannot be everywhere at once and they can't be watching everything at once. If anything, it is a deterrent if signs are posted. My hometown set up cameras on a main street because months before, kids street raising on that street hit and killed a man.

I also run down a jogging path which ends at an intersection and continues on the other side. There is a big pedestrian crossing sign with a flashing light but people still fly through. Same with cross walks. I'd like to see some cameras installed there to make people pay attention.

Useless.

While I am extremely not proud of this story~ I had a car full of kids and my mom~ everyone being loud at the same time and I turned my head for one second to shush the kids. Turned back around and ran a red light.. went through the intersection as 2 other people were.. nearly killed everyone in the car is what I did. By nothing short of the grace of God everything stood still and everyone did just the right thing to barely escape any of us colliding. ~ we would have been hit from both sides and I still can't sort out how we weren't.

So~ this happens in front of one of those traffic cams~ if I didn't deserve a ticket for that~ then who the heck does?

Not to mention~ there is an extremely small town in my county~ the cops there are so freaking lazy. You never see cops anywhere~ when they should be patrolling.. anyways they got a dummy to put in a cop car and park, this car is equipped with a camera for traffic violations. They say they issue tickets for speeding and such.. its lazy. Lazy as all heck because with their tiny department they still should have one cop out patrolling the streets (say by the elementary or high school) instead of parking an empty car in the same spot for as long as 2 weeks at a time.

Lazy and ridiculous. I can understand in a city.. but this is no city lol~ and then they don't even use them for their purpose.. more laziness.

They cause more problems than they save. San Diego had the yellow lights shortened in duration so more red light tickets could be issued. Red light cameras also have been shown to increase rear end accidents. Many in AZ (where speed cameras are prevalent) are not paying them. The court has to prove they were received. And since they are not mailed registered, well you know how the post office can be....

They should be used to alert local Law enforcement who should give out the ticket. There is too much room for abuse without the human presence. Also, if the cameras and computers are used automatically with no people involved, it will distance the police force from the community and create tons of bad will. If traffic cameras are going to be used, someone needs to sort out those that are very dangerous and need immediate response, from those sever enough to warrant an immediate ticket, from those who just need a warning to be aware of their actions, Those whose action is just past the legal definition of the law. I imagine many metropolitan areas are drooling over this potential cash cow, and there is great potential for misuse.

Like the red light ones. Don't trust the speed.

Source(s): chas
  • Jay

In MY county the placement of speed cameras has lowered the speed by an average of 7mph on roads that do not have cameras. No other proof is needed that they work.

You shouldn't run red lights or speed in front of them.

worthless and a wast of money they go off even if you dont run a red light and just stopped an inch over the line.

I guess if you do the crime you do the time or pay the piper, most of the cameras in Austalia are near schools or sports centres that kids use, so I think they are needed but they also can be wrong :)

Source(s): DA