can my landlord do this?

I have been living in a privately rented house since 08/10/10. It is a 6 month contract but the landlady promised a few things that would be done that haven't been yet. I also cant afford it as there isn't double glazing in the rear window of the living room which makes it freezing in there and I have a 6 month old baby so have to have the heating on constant and the fire on at all times that I am in there with the baby as she gets cold really quick and my gas bills has been through the roof.

Anyway I told my landlord I was looking for somewhere else to live a couple of weeks ago but she told me on tuesday when she came for the rent that I needed to give 2 months written notice. I decided I would wait until after christmas until I give it in writing to save more stress trying to find somewhere over the festive period.

Anyway the same night, I was just browsing on estate agents websites and noticed she had already put the house back up for rent, within a couple of hours and last night I came home to find the board had been put up outside!!

I haven't even give my written notice, surely she cant do this?

Also she hasn't put my deposit of £550 into a deposit scheme and was told that if she was to give me notice to move out i wouldn't have to as she hasn't stuck by the tenancy so does this apply to me giving her notice aswel?

I have been in touch with her and told her that I was waiting until after Christmas until I handed in m written notice and she said "that's fine, the agents know its not going to be empty for at least 2 months anyway"

Im not really sure what I should do here, she mentioned that people would be coming to view the house but I didn't think she meant yet, I thought she meant when I had given the notice, but with the board being up and it advertised in the estate agents, people will be coming round before then?

Please Help!!!

Favorite Answer

You are going to find the answers to all your questions in your lease.

1 mail a certified letter to the landlord explaining your heat problem

2 tell him about your deposit

3 also mention the 2 months termination lease notice but if the heat is not fix within the next ( lets say ) 7 days you will move out at the end of the month.

Do not do anything verbally. Everything in writing that way you have a leg to stand in court.

Good luck

• Cinna

Just read you contract and that will be the only rules that apply. The thing that I see as important is when is your lease up?