Is holding in urine bad for you?

I've always had troubles with bed wetting until I was in year 4 I wore nappy's to bed. I've grown out of it now but I have always held on my wee's until it gets too much, it's just a habit. I now wake up when I need to urinate but straight away my body gets and I hold on like I don't have enough time. I have been doing it for many years now... could it wreck my bladder or something? it scares me but it's hard to just get up a go. Sometimes it's too late. (I'm a 15 year old girl and I've also had a history of urine tract infections).

(year 4 is 9-10 years old)

Favorite Answer

If the urine stays in your bladder for too long, then the bacteria will eventually start backing up, going back up into your kidneys, which will infect your kidneys, and then you "will" have problems.

Now for some kids that have a small bladder they are told by their doctor to hold their pee for a little bit, like maybe 15 minutes, and when they start to go they need to stop the flow a couple times which helps to stretch the bladder. But to hold your urine all night isn't a good idea.

• Donna

Oh honey, you should never hold your urine back like that, especially for that long, this is probably why you have had alot of urinary tract infections. No, this won't wreck your bladder but can effect your kidneys. You need to get in the habit of getting up when you need to go, you will probably sleep alot better too.