Do I need to wear a mouth guard when I go ice skating?

My family and I are going ice skating and my mom said she doesn't know if I need to wear my mouth guard. I have braces but we're just going to open skate. Ya know $2 admission and you and some friends skate around for a few hours. Do I need to wear my mouth guard for that?

Favorite Answer

No, you don't. You only need to wear a mouth guard while skating if you are playing hockey, which I don't think you are. You are REALLY unlikely to need to wear it in public skating sessions

hey dear,

if you plan on hitting your mouth/ face on the ice or the sides then yes. i would say no though, unless you plan on the first thing i stated. most of the time when you fall you would either grab your knees ( which will help you not fall), or land on your butt. if you are afraid of falling for a little while then grab onto the wall. when you feel comfortable enough to move off the wall you can. for the most part you probably won't need it. it you want you can bring it in case you want to wear it. good luck, and happy skating:)

Source(s): I am a Figure Skater:) I understand

No, just be careful. No one should be running around hip checking people on a public (open ice) skating session, so as long as you're careful and keep your hands out of your pockets you'll be fine.

Nah, you shouldn't need one. Most only wear them during hockey practice when there is the potential danger of a puck hitting them in the face. Even if you trip and fall forward on your toe pick, you most likely will land on your knees before your face even comes close to hitting the ice. Good luck!

• St N

Unless you are planning on falling a lot, or trading elbows, you should be okay without the mouth guard. If you want the extra protection, go ahead but the rest of the skaters will think you are strange.

Not necessarily. You would only wear it when you play a contact sport like rugby or hockey on ice :D

Only if you're clumsy.