Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Ramadan: Is this proof of making up sunnah salat as acceptable?(Knowledgeable people)?

Volume 5, Book 59, Number 656:

Narrated Bukhari:

Ibn Abbas, 'Abdur-Rahman bin Azhar and Al-Miswar bin Makhrama sent him to 'Aisha saying, "Pay her our greetings and ask her about our offering of the two-Rak'at after 'Asr Prayer, and tell her that we have been informed that you offer these two Rakat while we have heard that the Prophet had forbidden their offering." Ibn 'Abbas said, "I and 'Umar used to beat the people for their offering them." Kuraib added, "I entered upon her and delivered their message to her.' She said, 'Ask Um Salama.' So, I informed them (of 'Aisha's answer) and they sent me to Um Salama for the same purpose as they sent me to 'Aisha. Um Salama replied, 'I heard the Prophet forbidding the offering of these two Rakat. Once the Prophet offered the 'Asr prayer, and then came to me. And at that time some Ansari women from the Tribe of Banu Haram were with me. Then (the Prophet ) offered those two Rakat, and I sent my (lady) servant to him, saying, 'Stand beside him and say (to him): Um Salama says, 'O Allah's Apostle! Didn't I hear you forbidding the offering of these two Rakat (after the Asr prayer yet I see you offering them?' And if he beckons to you with his hand, then wait behind.' So the lady slave did that and the Prophet beckoned her with his hand, and she stayed behind, and when the Prophet finished his prayer, he said, 'O the daughter of Abu Umaiya (i.e. Um Salama), You were asking me about these two Rakat after the 'Asr prayer. In fact, some people from the tribe of 'Abdul Qais came to me to embrace Islam and busied me so much that I did not offer the two Rakat which were offered after Zuhr compulsory prayer, and these two Rakat (you have seen me offering) make up for those."

Sorry kind of long. Is this hadith authentic?

If so does this give us proof that we can make up sunnah salat if we intended to pray them but couldn't?

JazakAllahKhair:)

Salam

@JazakAllah rosy

Many people tell me you cannot make up sunnah once you miss it and I read this a long time ago and make them up when needed regardless of what they said so i just wanted to make sure.

@JazakAllah for your polite words of wisdom :)

Favorite Answer

wa'alaykum assalaam akhi kareem

wallaahi i love it when questions like this are asked..... and when answerers like the ones above are present! It just satisfies my heart, walhamdulillaah.. :)

to answer you q:

quote

It is mustahabb to make up the regular Sunnah prayers if one misses them, according to the correct scholarly view. This is the Shaafa’i view and the well known opinion of the Hanbalis, in contrast to the Hanafis and Maalikis, because of the hadeeth of Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with him), according to which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed two rak’ahs after ‘Asr. He was asked about them and he said: “O daughter of Abu Umayyah, you asked about the two rak’ahs after ‘Asr. That is because some people from ‘Abd al-Qays came to me and distracted me from the two rak'ahs that come after Zuhr; these are they (i.e., I prayed them just now).” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (1233) and Muslim (834).

Imam al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The correct view in our opinion is that it is mustahabb to make up the regular naafil prayers. This was the view of Muhammad, al-Muzani and Ahmad according to one opinion narrated from him. Abu Haneefah, Maalik and Abu Yoosuf, according to the most well known view narrated from him, said that they should not be made up. Our evidence is these saheeh ahaadeeth. End quote.

Al-Majmoo’ (4/43).

Al-Mardaawi al-Hanbali (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The words “whoever misses any of these Sunnahs, it is Sunnah for him to make it up” – this is the well known view of our companions.

Al-Majd supported this in his commentary and it was the view favoured by Shaykh Taqiy al-Deen – i.e., Ibn Taymiyah. End quote from al-Insaaf (2/187).

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Making up regular Sunnah prayers is Sunnah if one misses them. The evidence for that is that when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) slept and missed Fajr prayer, and did not wake up until after the sun had risen, he prayed the Sunnah prayer of Fajr first, then he prayed Fajr after that. End quote.

Liqaa’aat al-Baab il-Maftooh (no. 74, question no 18). See also al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (25/284).

end quote

more info@

Making up the Sunnah prayer that is done before Zuhr

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/114233

&

Making up missed prayers after ‘Asr

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/20338

btw, akhi batman is improving, huh? :P

Prayer is one of the most important acts in the Branches of Islam (Furooa-a-Deen). It is way to worship Allah showing love and devotion to Him. It keeps the soul and mind free from any pollution such as paganism. Prayer is also a cleansing agent for our hearts and soul. It brings spiritual happiness and prevents our souls from becoming depressed, dull, or sad. When making prayer a habit, it discourages carelessness and helps to progress oneself in life. If a person's prayer is accepted, then other acts of worship are accepted. If a person thinks that prayer is unimportant and ordinary, then he is like the person who does not pray. The word prayer in Arabic is "salat" and in Urdu and Persian it is "namaz".

Source(s): 3 days left of my Jihad so no Salam till then. :) Wahab :) Al hamodullah Salam squeeze one out for ya! LOL! watch to see what I am going to do next Ankaboot is coming back!