Joining marines with misdemeanor?

At age 15 I was caught shoplifting however because it was under $200 it was considered a misdemeanor in the state of VA and I did my community service as punishment. Could this possibly hinder my ability to join either the marines or army now? Thanks. :)

• Rufus
    Favorite Answer

Probably not. Many people have made mistakes when they were young. If it isn't a felony it isn't likely to affect your chances.

once you've a GED, you're out of success so a strategies because the Marines is in touch. the military facilitates some GED holders in, yet no longer many. Your misdemeanor should not be a concern in case you'll get a waiver.

Your juvenile record is sealed and should not be relevant. However, you may just have to explain it was a one time stupid act of a juvenile. Each case is treated individually, though. But with a misdemeanor as a juvenile, it shouldn't hold you up. Remember, a speeding ticket is considered a misdemeanor infraction too. It may require a waiver, but your recruiter can handle that and tell you what you may have to do in order to get it done. A recruiter is who you need to be speaking with though.

Can't speak for the Marines but if you have the one charge you are fine to join the Army.

Source(s): Army SFC