we have a 1995 chevy?

it is a auto it will start and run bairly but as soon as you put it into gear it will die it wont run in gear at all but it will run in park to an extent any one know what could be wrong with it? it has 250xxx miles need to know asap thank you

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Plugged fuel filter

MAP Sensor bad

cracked vacuum lines

O2 sensor bad

Plugged Cat converter

Plugged exhaust

bad fuel

bad plug wires

bad distributor cap/rotor

Source(s): 20+ year mechanic
  • Mike
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I have a 95 Tahoe with 240,000 miles... You just can't kill them...

First thing to do is pull the engine codes. You can do this by blinking them out. Looking at the diagnostics connector and the key in the off position short the A and B leads (top right and the one directly to the left of it)

It will blink a 1..2.....1..2 or 12 three times meaning the system is ready. Then copy down the codes after that. You can google the codes or e-post here for help.

Other things to look at is the small vacuum line that connects to the heater actuator in front of the fire wall, or the other small diameter hoses for that matter. Mine have started to dry rot near the ends.

My guess is going to be the EGR valve... but pull the codes first, it helps a lot.

Good Luck. Mike

Source(s): Been There, Done That.
  • 1 decade ago

As always, there are many things that could cause this. With a 1995 I would suspect dried up vacuum

lines which are allowing air to be sucked into the line rather than allow the vaccum to build up. Start

with simple things and work your way up the line if you are attempting to fix this yourself. Let's face it,

a rough running engine isn't going to get better once you get rolling. Visually and manually follow all

of these vacuum lines checking the connections and the entire line ( especially the bottom of the hose ),

for cracks and leaks. Check your air filter for clogging and intake ducts for any nests or creatures that

may have made a home while you weren't driving the vehicle. Listen closely for any hissing sounds

and that could lead you directly to the problem.

It's a place to start. Good Luck to You.

• Ray G
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

need much more info make model engine size etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.