The more miles on a car means what?

Im about to buy a car and I never really understood cars rather than how to drive it, put gas in it and how to accessorize it :-). My first car was given to me as a gift and now I want something to call my own that I can say I bought myself. So, with that being said, When there are alot of miles on a used car, what happens? Is there something I could put into the car to make it last longer?

THANKS TO MOST....FIRST OFF IM NOT STUPID I KNO MORE MILES MEANS ITS BEEN DRIVEN MORE IM NOT A ****** BLONDE SO WATCH YOSELF. What I basically want to kno is if I buy a car with alot of miles on it, does it mean the car will not last long or will I have to buy SOMETHING that allow it to last longer

Favorite Answer

More wear and tear. Get regular oil changes, fluid changes, don't drive it hard...

Obviously the car's mileage is how far it has driven in its lifetime. The more miles that you put on a car, the more used up the parts get (individual engine parts, belts, tires, suspension, etc). Used items are never as good as new items. Do you see where this is going yet? The more a car is driven the more the parts are likely to fail. The only thing you can do is try and keep the parts clean and well maintained. Performing all the scheduled maintenance on a vehicle will prolong it's life. you can always replace old parts with new ones, but at a certain point this become too expensive and impractical. Good luck with the car hunting, and stay away from cars with really high mileage if you can. If you have to choose between a low mileage Honda, and a high mileage BMW you would probably be better off with the low mileage Honda in the long run.

Source(s): Common Sense

The more miles a car has on it, the more wear-and-tear the car has been subjected to. Most moving parts on a car wear out eventually with repeated use. Many non-moving parts also have a limited lifespan with or without repeated use, especially if they're plastic parts, rubber parts, or gaskets...

If you're shopping for a used car, the lower the mileage generally the longer the car will last without major repairs being required assuming that the car has been well maintained up to the point where you're buying it. Having a mechanic inspect a used car prior to purchasing it is a great idea for someone who isn't familiar with cars. ~$100 for a mechanic's inspection can easily save you $1000s down the road if you don't know how to spot potential mechanical problems yourself.

I've worked in the auto industry and as such I can tell you with a great degree of confidence that the engineering lifespan goal for most cars built in the last 10 years is 150,000 miles under a mix of both city and highway driving conditions. Cars can certainly last longer than 150,000 miles with regular maintenance, especially if they're driven most of their miles while cruising on the highway, but if you're looking for a rule-of-thumb as to when a car might begin to need major/expensive repairs to the engine/transmission/any other major system 150,000 miles is a good milestone.

Even with the best of maintenance, ie regular oil changes and tune ups. With a lot of use, all the parts get wear. Tires, brakes, wires, A/c units, door hinges, leather and vinyl wears and tears, speakers crack. carpets get stained and wet and moldy. Glass gets scratched and cloudy, plastic gets brittle. Starting to get the picture. So unless the previous owner was a fanatic about the car and replaced every worn or damaged item, everything has seen usage. Ergo... high mileage=high use.The good news, with just regular maintenance a car will last quite a long time.

Hope this helps good luck.

• cory l

more miles on a car means it's been driven more, nothing more nothing less. people will argue with me (go ahead) and say higher mileage (150k+) means that the car is most likely to die soon, tell that to my friends 615k mileage 1990 ford ranger... no major engine work, no transmission work (re built clutch once thats all) no differential work, almost half that truck is factory AND it was driven in Michigan for those who dont know salt eats the crap out of everything on a car, everything! or tell that to me who had a 450k mileage Bronco II 1985 again no engine repair transmission (clutch lasted on this one) or differential repair. it really depends on how the car was driven, harsh driving (aka flooring it at every chance) can destroy your car in a matter of 5-7 years. i just replaced a head gasket on a 2004 F150 (warranty just passed on it) because he floors it at every possible chance, easily getting 5.5-6k rpms tried telling him and guess what? still hasn't learned his lesson and his trans is starting to go now.

When you have the crankshaft spinning at 1-7000 rpm (revolutions per minute) for 100,000+ miles + idle time there's going to be a problem if the parts quality is not good due to heat, vibrations, and movement...actually even if the parts quality is good there's still going to be some warpage.

It is always a guessing game but you have to figure that 100,000 and 150,000 miles are "targets". You can not be sure that a car will go past those numbers. (100 for American older cars and 150 for Japanese imports)