How do you feel about all of the current gender changes with baby names?

There are so many classic boy names (or at least ones that sound more masculine) becoming girl names, such as Addison, Wesley, Ryan, Rowan, Elliot, Ariel, etc. There are even some names that began as boy names that have now turned into names almost solely for girls, such as Courtney and Ashley.

There are also many, many names that are used commonly for both genders: Carmen, Jordan, Taylor, Corey, etc.

How do you feel about this? I think it is partially caused by more women's rights being gained and greater equality among genders now. Do you think one day we will see a bunch of girls named Matthew, Thomas, or Seth?

Favorite Answer

I personally don't like it but I can see why people would choose to use them. Like you said about women's rights, parents are looking for strong names for their daughter's to prove that they can be independent and not have to depend so much on men. But I don't think you will ever a bunch of girls named Matthew, Thomas or Seth because from what I've realized is people choose 'male' names that have a softer sound or ones with a more feminine nickname to use to their girls. Eg. Addison's nickname could be Addie, Elliot could be Ellie: those nicknames are very girly.

Saying that I would never use a name that is unisex for my child. I could never let my daughter or son be in a class with another person with the same name but a different gender... would it make my son's name seem less masculine? I think so. Also I could never have my daughter 'Addison' search the meaning of he name and find the meaning to be 'Son of Adam'. It changes the history and meaning of a name and that's what mostly turns me off for this new trend.

We see this a lot with girls having boy names but what happens if a boy was named Sarah or Emily ?

In the big picture, I know not much more than my own opinion. I heard the name Addison through a friend of a friend whos son had the name. But I love it for a girl, and also love Addie. Ashley is debatable. I think it is one of those names that started being for one gender and is now used for both ie Cameron, Tyler, Rylie, Reese etc. When I think of Ashley, I think of girl also. My sister is "Elise Ashley Brooke". What you've asked is really interesting. It'd be good to find out how names originate and as to what gender that are intended for. In my opinion, society has changed the names to be how they like. In the 21st century we now have boys named Jess and girls called Ryan (I have a female friend by this name) There are so many names that these days are seen to be for either gender. What happened to the days where boys were Jack, William, Thomas and girls were Emily, Sarah and Kate. They may be common, but at least we know if theyre male or female. Hope you find some answers Ashley :) ♥ Georgie

Wesley is not becoming a girl's name. It's still popular for boys and isn't even in the top 1000 for girls.

Names like Addison and Elliot aren't classic boys name. They surnames without history of usage on either gender, people didn't start using them on boys until fairly recently. Names like Matthew and Thomas are totally different, they have thousands of years of usage on boys and people (hopefully) will never use them on girls because of that. Names that do go through gender changes are usually surnames as first names that don't have much history of use on either gender (like Courtney and Ashley).

Personally I don't think it has anything to do with equality among the genders, quite the opposite in fact. It's generally seen that giving a girl a slightly masculine name is "strong" and "spunky" and "classy" and so on, but giving a boy a slightly feminine name (even if that name was originally used on boys) will someone make him feminine or turn him gay (yes, I've had several people quite seriously tell me that naming a boy Elliot or Quinn will turn him gay).

I don't like it, and I don't think it has much to do with equal rights. If we're so equal why do we have to act and sound more like guys and use a guys name? Our names are just as good!

I think it ruins the meaning and history behind the name, it makes it unpleasing to name a son anything that doesn't sound like Manly McTestosterone just because all the even slightly non masculine sounding names are being used by girls, and as a girl, I would hate hate hate to have a boy name, I don't think it ages well, most boys don't want a girlfriend with a guy name, and I just think there's prettier names out there. Plus it can cause a lot of teasing, especially if the girl isn't that pretty, and maybe a bit manly, people can be cruel and I've seen it happen.

Some unisex names are alright like Ashley, Jordan, Addison and Jaden. But think it is silly and unfair on the child to call them a name that is associated with the other gender such as calling a girl matthew or a boy Lucy because they will probably get picked on a lot

• I like it, depending on the name. I really like Parker for a girl, but most people don't because it's usually for a boy.

Ariel, Ashley, Courtney, Carmen, etc. should stay girl names, at least in the US. I feel bad for a boy named Ariel.

Just because it used to be a boys name doesn't mean it still it.

I think they beat the hell out of some Ghetto names like 'Deshawn'

Whenever I hear what someone has named or is planning to name their baby I imagine 25 years in the future a hiring manager looking at that name and making a judgment accordingly. It happens everyday. It may not always ne ethical or legal but it happens. Why not give your kid head start with decent name?

I have a sister named Addison :D

I love her name.

And another sister named Parker.

But SHE has to go and ruin her awesome name by going by her middle name, which is Hannah.

I know a girl named Kyle and another named Kevyn. I think it's the parents trying to be creative and different but it does nothing but welcome teasing from classmates when they're kids. I'd say for the sake of the kid we should keep names relatively "normal".

I'm all for it, but it depends on the name. I think you're absolutely right about why (and maybe some people wanted something different) but you never know! We'll just have to wait and see!