Why can't we feel the Earth spinning?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

[Improve]

Earth moves very fast. It spins (rotates) at a speed of about 1,000 miles (1.7 kilometers) per hour at

Interesting Question , i did some research and this is what came up .

the equator and orbits around the sun at a speed of about 67,000 miles (107,000 kilometers) per hour. We do not feel any of this motion because these speeds are constant. The spinning and orbital speeds of Earth stay the same so we do not feel any acceleration or deceleration. You can only feel motion if your speed changes. For example, if you are in a car which is moving at a constant speed on a smooth surface, you will not feel much motion. However, when the car accelerates or when the brakes are applied, you do feel motion.

• 1 decade ago

Because the Earth spins at a constant rate of speed. It's like riding in a car. As long as the car is moving at a constant speed and doesn't speed up or slow down, you don't feel any motion. As soon as the car speeds up or slows down, then you notice it. Since the spinning of the Earth does not speed up or slow down, you don't notice the constant speed of the spin.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Two reasons I can think of:

Gravity keeps us from flying off.

Everything in on and around earth is moving at the same speed so that you perceive it to be still. You are moving as fast as the things around you. I think it's called relativity.

Source(s): General science
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Because it is spinning very slowly and the force of gravity is keeping us down.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It moves very slow. Also, even if you stand still, you are moving with the Earth

• me
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

because v^2/r is too small

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.