Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsAllergies · 1 decade ago

How does an allergist find out what you are allergic to?

I've heard of scratch tests, but what do they do to find out?

Wouldn't they have to try several different things i could potentially be allergic to like dust, pollen, hay, mold, ETC.

wouldn't that take forever? how does it work?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • J B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Pat is mostly right - they do have little plastic things embedded with various food types, dust, mold, medication to test what you might be allergic to, they are put in an order and numbered. They can do up to 50 of these at one time, each one a couple of inches from the other one. And then, they look for redness, swelling and that would be considered a positive reaction to that particular substance and then they recommend you avoid those substances. This testing can take a few hours in an allergist's office.

Source(s): Health care provider
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Baet Make,

Allergy testing involves having a skin or blood test to find out what substance, or allergen, may trigger an allergic response in a person. Skin tests are usually done because they are rapid, reliable, and generally less expensive than blood tests, but either type of test may be used. Patch testing, skin prick testing and scratch testing are highly reproducible, but are not necessarily accurate, as they only measure the reaction of the skin to a potential allergen. The skin tissues do not necessarily react in the same way as, for example, the lining of the lungs or the stomach. Some systems use dilutions of substances for testing. At its simplest this means that a substance is mixed with a solvent, and the resulting liquid is tested. Homeopathic dilutions are used in some systems. This involves diluting the test substance repeatedly, with a sample of the previous dilution being diluted to form the next dilution. This is usually repeated until there is unlikely to be any of the original substance physically present in the liquid, but an ‘energy pattern’ or memory of the substance is still present. Sometimes a radionics machine is used which magnetically produces the energy pattern of a given substance. Because these do not deteriorate, it allows practitioners to use extensive testing kits. There are five main types of antibody: IgA, IgD, IgE, IgG and IgM. Some testing methods are looking at IgE antibodies, whose main function appears to be protecting the body from parasites. Others are checking for IgG antibodies, whose main roles are to protect against bacteria and viruses, and give initial protection to the newborn baby. This is a brief discussion of a broad subject and more details may be found at the link which I add below.

ALL ANSWERS SHOULD BE THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED, IN ANY FORUM AND ESPECIALLY IN THIS ONE. - MANY ANSWERS ARE FLAWED.

It is extremely important to obtain an accurate diagnosis before trying to find a cure. Many diseases and conditions share common symptoms.

The information provided here should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.

Here is the link that I mentioned above

http://allergies.about.com/od/

allergytesting/Testing_for_Allergies.htm

Hope this helps

matador 89

• 1 decade ago

Your body tells them. each small scratch is a different substance. The one that gets red , swells,or itches is the what you are allergic to

It takes less than an hour.

when they find what you are allergic to they make up a serum for you to become desensitized. This is a gradual process, and is usually very effective.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, they have a different sample of foods, pollens, and molds and put a dab of it on your back in an identifiable order. Then they look for redness or swelling which would indicate that it is an allergen for you. I remember it to be painless, but they may prick you i'm not sure.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.