Anonymous

What should I do about a half-brother I don't know appearing at my workplace all the time?

We don't know each other, but we know OF each other, and our father chose him over me, and they don't approve of me, and therefore my half-brother give me nasty looks. I work in a conference dept. and my half-brother is there constantly with his company, and I have to be their host and deal with their requests. Yesterday I had to make somebody else do it for me, because it stressed me out to be near him. What can I do? I refuse to get another job, cos' I have a lot of fun with my amazing colleagues. But still, can't find the strength to face my brother. It's so awkward I can't even describe it. Should I talk to my boss about this?

Favorite Answer

The answer to this will have to come from you. Are you going to let some ruin your career?

Note I said 'someone'. Just because he is related does not mean YOU need to give him license to run your life. When he is a work for a business function treat him as you would any other customer. With respect.

You are letting him 'get to you' by showing that his nasty looks affect you. Only YOU can stop reacting to him in this manner and perhaps he will stop.

You might also seek counseling to determine why his appearance at work affects you. If he is there on business there is nothing you can do to stop him from doing business with your company. In fact, you could be terminated if you are disrespectful and the company loses business as a result.