Question about opened canned food?

I a couple of cans of vegetables last week for dinner but did not use all of each of them. They are still in the can and have been in the fridge for the last week. I just put some foil over them. Are they still good??

Sorry I meant opened*

• Joy
    Favorite Answer

NO, NO, NO, throw them out!!

Never, never, never, store food in a can after it has been opened. The metal lining of the can reacts with air over time and can cause serious food poisoning. Always store leftover canned food in a different container.

And a week is too long to be safe, even in a different container..

I got that you meant opened but you should throw them away if you have had them this long in the fridge. for future reference, after opening they should be put in other closed containers as opened they tend to taste like the can but if it is only a couple of days,you may put foil on them.

If you had transferred them into a crock or plastic bowl rather than the tin you would be OK but if they are in the tin they will be no good now. The metal reacts with the food. Just throw them away.

Canned vegetables are not really high in vitamins, why not use fresh?

The seams of the cans can rust and cause food poisoning. I'd discard them. You can store unused veggies in tupperware or a ziplock baggie, but not in the can in the fridge.

• Payton

Oh, no, never use anything like that as it is not good as the tin from the can get into it and leaves a bad taste to it. always throw that away. and there is a lot more things to food rules, like do not eat, even after 3 days. you don't want to get sick.

Please be careful

Source(s): Self

permit the cans sit down in salty water for some days whilst i ate what ever else i could desire to locate that replaced into suitable for eating. cans start to rust from the exterior while left in water and that could desire to soften the cans to cause them to much less annoying to open by making use of banging them with a pointy or jagged rock. xxx

• mercy

No, next time take the time and put it in a freezer bag and store it in the freezer. Oh and mark what is in it too. I know, times are hard to be wasting.

You should never store food in the can. . . you can risk botulism and one week is too long to store already cooked food. Throw it out!! Good Luck.

They may be OK still but I would recommend you ditch then, the tin can contaminate them

You should know better.

I wouldn't chance it. Throw it away!