Ultra Violet asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Should I try to get help or not?

I've been a self harmer since I was 14. I stopped around the age of 17 but now I'm 18 and in the last few months I've started self harming again. I feel that I could be suffering from depression but I don't know because I haven't spoken to anyone about it.

When my family found out about my self harming last time they had an extremely bad reaction and I won't go through that again. I'm a university student so my doctor is at the university - if they do think I have a problem, I don't want my family being involved and I don't want my studies to be affected more than they already are.

Should I get some help or try to get through this myself again?

Also, I hate discussing this with people as I don't like looking weak or vulnerable so I don't want to talk to my friends about it, I'm not close enough to anyone to trust them with this.

Favorite Answer

I believe it's the stress of university. If it's been going on for more that a couple of weeks then I'd advise you get some help. If your 18 yrs old then it's against the law for the Dr. to tell anyone, mostly your family. I'll bet there is a lot of self harming going on all around you and they all feel like you do -don't want to talk about it, completely stressed out, etc... Please seek help before its too late.

Your Uni should have a student counselling service. This will be very confidential, just between you and the counsellor. The only time the counsellor would tell anyone else is if she thought you were in real danger, e.g. harming yourself so badly your life was in danger. You need to talk it through with someone and most Uni counsellors are very helpful and knowledgeable about self harming. You won't be the first or the last student with this. Uni is a big step so maybe you just need a bit of extra support at the moment.

Try asking friends that you can trust about their opinion on that. That would be the best thing to do.

yes you must get help you will never get better by not getting help