UK Employment law - new employee?

We have just taken on a new employee this week. There contract issued on their first day says notice is one month both ways - no probation period mentioned. They told us they were made redundant from their last sales post because of downturn in economy and that they sold loads of stuff before that. We have just... show more We have just taken on a new employee this week. There contract issued on their first day says notice is one month both ways - no probation period mentioned. They told us they were made redundant from their last sales post because of downturn in economy and that they sold loads of stuff before that.

We have just been told - off the record - by someone senior at their last firm (friend of a friend) - they were sacked for selling nothing in 6 months (simplier / easier sale than our items which are much more technical) - the employee is suing them for not 'helping them enough to sell' (even though told us the courses in the prior firm was A1) and sued their prior place (where they didn't last long or sell anything) - and they are a nice person but also a 'player' / 'chancer' who wants a payoff to avoid ET and not to touched!

References have not yet been requested! I don't believe we told them the position was subject to references but you would expect to be asked for your last 2 firms. We plan to ask them for their last 2 firms contact to get them. Which may call their bluff and we can ask what the problem is when they don't want to give them (They claim last firm didn't give them a P45 which we don't believe).

Can we summary dismiss them for gross misconduct in lying to us in the interview? - they clearly told us a couple of times us they were made redundant and that they had sold plenty of things in prior firm and earned commission.

My boss wants to give them a chance for a month or so - as they are 'a nice person' - but the person has no experience in our product / industry and to be honest we are so laid back as a firm that we would not give them adequate training if they thought their last firm didn't 'help them enough' to sell something.

Can we go for gross misconduct for (it seems) lying in an interview?
Can we just say within 2 weeks of starting - we are letting you go immediately without notice period or reason?

Many thanks
Update: My Boss owns the firm. However he is a nice guy and hate's conflict / dealing with difficult people issues etc. Doesn't like to deal with them and puts them off - hence 'why don't we give them a chance' - rather than ask the new employee their side. But he knows the odds of this person working out is now not good... show more My Boss owns the firm. However he is a nice guy and hate's conflict / dealing with difficult people issues etc. Doesn't like to deal with them and puts them off - hence 'why don't we give them a chance' - rather than ask the new employee their side. But he knows the odds of this person working out is now not good at all. So I get to deal with such issues - it's call delegation of problems.

However I'm looking for other peoples opinion on the legal situation of getting rid of someone within 2 weeks of joining us.
Update 2: Many thanks for the replies! The friend of a friend - is someone senior in our firm who has worked with the persons line manager and given their professional viewpoint as a friend would. The person claims to have sold stuff in their last firm - their manager says not that they just took the base salary. There are... show more Many thanks for the replies! The friend of a friend - is someone senior in our firm who has worked with the persons line manager and given their professional viewpoint as a friend would. The person claims to have sold stuff in their last firm - their manager says not that they just took the base salary. There are grifters that move from job to job. We are a small firm with 12 employees - none of whom have left in the last 3 years - as we are a good employer - pay wise and how we treat people - but can't afford free-loaders. But maybe too easy in some ways. The new employee also said they could not provide a P45 which would have given extra details on how successful they were - or were not.

They do not want the job - they wanted the money. As we all do. But we have to give something in return. Esp as employing someone for say 6 months - plus agency recruitment fees - training fees - payoff fees! (This person has, if truthful, sued their last few firms for not 'supporting them enough' i
6 answers 6