Maizey asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

How can i stop being reclusive?

I'm really reclusive in my ways...& withdrawn.

I feel stressed out around some kinds of people.

I don't know how to go about changing>any advice?

• Bill
    Favorite Answer

I am assuming you have been this way quite a while. Therefore I advise counseling, so that you in essence have a coach to help you get out more. This will take time and more than "tips and tricks"" here on Yahoo! Answers.

Also, gradually start to do more outside your home. Small easy things at first. It's like weight lifting--you don't want to start with the heavy weights.

Say a little more to store clerk at the check out stand. Wave to a neighbor. The key is to push yourself to do a little more than you are doing right now, then more, bit by bit.

What you need, too, is to change your thinking habits, those thoughts that urge you to stay reclusive.

This book can help with that a lot if you are consistent in doing the written exercises. Nothing threatening or hard, just takes work and sticking to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Days-Self-Esteem-David-B...

and this one is great too...

http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Over-Mood-Change-Changi...

Best wishes.

Get out of the house, stay away from the types of people that stress you and search out the types that don't. I'm not sure you need to change so much as change how you feel about yourself and your expectations of what your life should be. Forget what society says and find your own comfort zone. I am still a bit reclusive in my private life, not total but a bit and I like it that way. I have to guard against with drawing now and again but am happy with a few close friends as opposed to a slew of acquaintances. That's my niche, what's yours?

go outside. Smell the roses. Talk to your neighbor.

There are ways to transform yourself any way you wanted to. Have you tried IST?