can someone other than the person named on an envelope open it?

I have received USPS mail where I work and the secretary opens and reads it before she gives it to me. It has my name on it only. Is this legal?

Favorite Answer

In many businesses a secretary will open mail, as it's part of her job. You could ask her not to open anything which is addressed to you personally. If something is marked 'Personal' or 'Private and Confidential' then it's intended for the addressee only.

• Connie

Legally no, but simply talk with her and ask her not to open mail that has just your name on it. If it is personal, who ever is sending you mail, ask them to write to the attention of your name only. This should stop her from opening your mail.

Unless it is sent restricted there isn't really anything you can do about it. It gets really complicated in businesses, but yes, she can open any mail she wants to.

Source(s): USPS Employee

No, opening someone else's mail is definitely illegal.

by law your not allowed to open another person's mail no matter what, in other words, it is illegal.

I think it's a federal offense. Tell that fool to stop.