Coughing after a cold?

I had a cold that started almost 2 weeks ago. I feel a lot better now and don't feel sick anymore but I keep coughing up phlegm. Its brown in color. I am a smoker and I have asthma but I wasn't coughing up stuff before the cold. Also my upper back has been hurting since about the 3rd day of having the cold and It couldn't be from coughing cause I didn't even start coughing up stuff till around the 3rd or 4th day of being sick. Is the anything I should be concerned about? The pain doesn't get any worse when I breathe in. My upper back just gets sore occasionally throughout the day so maybe it's not related. I don't know. I don't have health insurance so I can't just go to the doctor unless I'm sure I really have to. How long does a cough normally last after a cold and could it just be that color and lasting longer cause I'm a smoker?

Favorite Answer

The cough usually lasts several days after the other symptoms of the cold have gone. But if you are not feeling better soon check with your doctor.