Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

How can I quietly and efficiently get myself psychiatric help?

I guess I have had bad depression for as long as I can remember, but I cover it up well and have attempted to help myself in numerous ways over the years. I'm eighteen now, and in the past few years I have sought the assistance of a therapist, tried all the natural methods, and experimented with anti-anxiety meds, but nothing has worked.

I am in my freshman year of college now and more miserable than ever, and I feel like such a prick for even admitting that. I planned on transferring to another school but all of the schools I wanted to attend rejected me except for one that is closer to home. I was going to commute for a semester there, but after telling my mom about this she has shown obvious resentment towards the idea of having an adult child live at home and has been screening my calls since. I have 3 days to figure out where to go even though I feel like I will not be wanted anywhere. I sleep an average of 16 hours a day at this college, it's the only thing I enjoy doing. At this point, my mindset is that life has always been "sucky", and it just gets worse as I get older, and dying doesn't seem like a bad thing at all yet I don't want to kill myself, does that make any sense?

Anyway, nothing seems to work in making me feel happy or at least neutral, I don't know what I'm doing with my life, I definitely do not want to confide any of this to any friends or family members, and I honestly feel like it has gotten to a point where I might want to admit myself for psychiatric evaluation. I don't want to walk into an emergency room and be like "hi, i'm suicidal," and cause drama for my family, and the psychiatrist on the college campus I am is never available. If anyone can offer any suggestions I would be so appreciative.

Favorite Answer

Honestly, do whatever you think is best for your self.

Wish you the best.

Hey, listen let me assure you that you are not alone. There are many other people going through exact same thing as you.

First of All if you want you can continue with your college foat leastast first year, and then take transfer the next year. During this time it will give you atleast good idea about whether you are liking your current college or no. And in terms of living, you can either persuade your mother to let you live with her for a year or you can find your own apartment. Just be strong. You are ofcourse going to get out of this little bad time in your life.

One thing I like about you is that you are positive. Good Job, not many girls are positive. I suggest you get some spiritual help. In my case whever i am stressful as I have some problems that i cannot talk about, I always turn to God and ask God for help. Dealing spiritually with stress is a great idea but you just have to take that initiative. My best wishes are with you .

P.S: life is not sucky, its just series of good times and bad times, however how we deal with them is what defines us. ;)

Source(s): Personal experience with stress and depression.

Hi Lindsay,

You are very brave for asking this question and I think it's very admirable that you're recognizing all of this and trying to seek help. So many people feel like "pricks," as you said, for feeling like they can't take care of themselves and need help, but trust me: it's NOTHING to be ashamed of, and tons of people out there are secretly struggling with the same feelings.

From what you're describing, you are almost certainly "clinically depressed." But it's understandable and natural to feel that way given all of the changes you've been going through lately. Don't beat yourself up or feel guilty; everyone is different, and some people have a more difficult time adjusting to changes than others. There is nothing inherently wrong with you--I promise!

If you'd like, I'd be happy to talk with you or chat somehow. I'm a med student (going into psychiatry) and also a crisis hotline volunteer (and, in case you're wondering, a 25-year-old female *smile*). I've talked to many people in similar situations, in addition to having gone through similar experiences myself. Helping people get through this type of thing is what I'm passionate about, and I would love to help you any way I can.

There are a ton of things I want to say here, but I don't want this to get too long or rambling. I can't give you actual medical advice, of course--that would be illegal!--but I can offer you understanding and empathy, some suggestions for what you can do right now to manage your symptoms (or continue to do if you happen to lack financial resources to start regular psychiatric care), and also help you find some resources in your area if you want to find a good therapist or support group. It can be hard to find the right therapist, a matter of trail-and-error until you come across the right match. I also have book recommendations out the wazoo. You have a lot of options!

If you're up for a chat, just let me know and I'll figure out a way to get my contact info (e.g. my facebook page, perhaps, so you can see that I'm not full of crap) to you without exposing it to everyone. :)

MOST importantly, remember: You are NOT alone!

XOXO

(P.S. Your mom is not acting like a very good parent at the moment, and I know that can be devastating when one is in the midst of overwhelming depression. I point this out you are asking for support that you deserve and should NOT feel guilty about expecting or needing, despite the impression your mother is giving you. It's a shame that she's treating you this way, and please don't let her convince you otherwise.)

Edit: Lindsay, you can email me now by clicking on my profile (I think...sorry, new to this Answers thing, LOL). Shoot me a message whenever you'd like, and we can take it from there. No pressure, of course, but I'm happy to help.