does being an atheist and rejecting the concept of God/heaven/hell also have to mean that you reject afterlife?

Just because you don't believe in God and the heaven and hell theories, does that mean you have to or do believe that there is no life after this one? Einstein said energy cannot be created or destroyed, life is energy, life goes on in other realms, it only makes sense, there is not one atom in your physical body after 8 years that was there 8 years before, your body is completely made of new material every 8 years...so if life depended only on the physical body, you should be dead at 8 years old and 96% after 2 years, 98% of your atoms are replaced! Please explain how you feel and why, I would just like to understand, I respect your beliefs. thanks

Favorite Answer

I would like to congratulate you for making so much sense. I look forward to some atheists giving the time to come up with some serious and well considered answers for this question.

First, a point ... your statement "life goes on in other realms" is non-sensical. What other realms (and keep it factual)?

Second, the facts are that all the particles which make up all the atoms which make up all the molecules which make up all the cells which make up all of us, are dispersed back to the universe, in a macro sense. Disregard that we live on big rock today as this rock will disappear later when either bigger rock hits us or is extinguished when our sun expands after running out of fuel.

So the fundamental physical aspect of our bodies are reused, over and over and over; even while we're alive. We are indeed made of star stuff, as all the heavy elements were indeed created in the middle of star which exploded long ago.

Beyond this ... the whatever which is considered "me" or "you" is not understood. It could be just a collection of thoughts and experiences, and exists only in our gray matter. That's certainly plausible. To think that lives on beyond death is difficult to prove, if not impossible.

Humans are by nature insecure ... and early on, prior to scientific method and tools, we did not understand much about anything. Now we do.

Life and indeed everything is fundamentally two things ... matter and energy. Life is possible because of a continuous exchange of energy ... between particles out there and the systems in our body. But that can be said about stars and planets as well, not just life. Everything everywhere is made up of the same fundamental stuff ...

What I know about Einstein's beliefs is he was Agnostic but not on the Atheistic side. He believed that there was a God but God didn't oversee the affairs of humans. I question that due to experience however Albert knew a few things judging the things he came up with.

The energy would have to have been produced and directed by something. There has to be something holding it together. If something is holding it together it would have to be intelligent If whatever that was didn't have intelligence there would be no order to it and would be "stupid". The natural world has order.

• Tomo

"there is not one atom in your physical body after 8 years that was there 8 years before"

Incorrect - I think you mean cells and even then not all cells regenerate. The atoms that make up your body apart from the hydrogen atoms were forged in the cores of stars and supernovea billions of years ago.

"Einstein said energy cannot be created or destroyed"

- - - He also added that it can change from one state to another, hence the equation E=MC^2

That's about it! You forget that you eat and drink, and absorb the rays of the sun, among other things, and in doing so, you replenish the atoms that you consist of. When you die, those atoms will disperse and go to make other things. It would be lovely if there WERE an afterlife, but there is no evidence, and really no reason for an afterlife, apart from hearsay born of longing and imagination.

• C V

Matter and energy cannot be destroyed, but they can be transformed. Life is an emergent property of matter and energy following chemical processes. While it is true that what constitutes us will survive us, it does not mean we'll continue as some form of energy. Most of our energy will be lost as radiant heat on our death. Our matter will be broken up by decay and absorbed by other living organisms over time. Once our brain cells die, all that we are is gone. The idea that somehow the energy patterns in our brains will survive us after the cells that generate them die is just wishful thinking, in my opinion. There's no evidence of it.

Being atheist only means you don't believe in a god/goddess/ect, that's the only thing that makes an atheist an atheist, apart from that atheists have many different beliefs on many different things.

"so if life depended only on the physical body, you should be dead at 8 years old"

That's not how it works.

• Daken

I don't speak for all atheists, but I personally don't believe in an afterlife. Also, I think your statistics and reasoning a bit off. If our body is replaced with "new atoms" then it doesn't happen over night. Cells die every second, but are replaced by mitosis.

I reject all things supernatural and that includes the afterlife. There is no biological structure that supports the notion of an afterlife. Death is terminal. It is the end of life. A house that is burned to the ground is no longer a house; it’s just a pile of carbon, iron, melted plastic, etc. A life that dies is no longer a life; it is just a pile of inanimate molecules.

• Aeonyx

Great question! For my money, the difference between the incalculable scientific "anomaly" which caused the explosion of a super dense, super stable singularity (big bang) to occur (an input from beyond our dimension?) only differs from God in definiton.. its a matter of semantics... energy is retained wheter you call it a soul or not.

PS: The only way "there is no evidence for after life" is if you close your eyes to it... ALL you people CAN'T be that narrow can you? Ghosts, spirits, hauntings, premonitions, possesions, prophecies, NDE's, etc. etc. etc. There are no skyscapers or cats or or pick up trucks either if you stay in the dark with your eyes closed.

Being an atheist means you only reject the afterlife in relation to religions, for example, they would reject the afterlife in Christianity, Hinduism, but they may believe in an afterlife unrelated to religion