Can a relationship that begins because someone feels sorry for someone who has a severe illness survive?

I know someone who has type 1 diabetes. We were friends for a long time, and it seemed he had given up on finding someone to love him due to his health complications. I felt very sorry for him, and began to care about him. Now I love him very much. It is a scary thing though. Some of my friends know how our relationship began and they say I am stupid for being involved with him. I am scared of caring too much for him because I might lose him to the disease, and because I worry about him a lot, but I still love him. Will the concern I feel become too much for me to handle? Is there anyone out there who has been in a similar situation that can give good advice?

Ask yourself would you still love this person even if he didn't have diabetes?because if you wouldn't then that wouldn't be fair to him or you.But if yes then follow your heart just like in the disney movies.