If immigration came knocking on the door......?

If ICE came knocking on an immigrants door, would they have a right to knock the door down if it's the immigrants actual property?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Read the 4th amendment (it's about search and seizure); If Ice has a warrant they can enter any ones domain regardless of whether the suspect is an immigrant or a citizen.

• 4 years ago

I'M SURE HE IS A FRAUD!!! The immigration officer seem strange. For starters he want to take your passport away to make a copy? That's the biggest give away. Yes immigration conduct interviews at home to caught people off guard but NEVER they should take your passport away from you. You should be CAREFUL of this person, he sound suspicious. Ask for his full name and immigration work ID number. Contact the immigration department to verified if he is who he say he is, do not take the number he gave you, the immigration department should have a number in the yellow pages, contact the number from the yellow pages, not the number he gave you (he could have an accomplice in on the act) . Tell the 'immigration officer' you have to reschedule for next week at the immigration office, the address off the yellow pages. If he keep insisting not at the office notify the police. To me the guy visit you sound suspicious, always wanting to meet at your house, not at the office and how he want to take your passport away with him. If he was really from immigration, they should already have your passport details on file, why should you give it to them again?? Trust your instinct, if you not comfortable, there something wrong. But I could be wrong.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ICE wouldn't go to an immigrant's house unless they committed a crime, or were in the US illegally

They can go anywhere they want with a warrant. And if they know people are inside and no one opens, they could always wait outside for you to come out.

And you mention on your other question that they knocked in the past. No one answered, but they knew people were home. That gives them reason to suspect they have the right house and there are lawbreakers inside. Based on not asking questions, they can continue to compile evidence and eventually get a warrant.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You don't differentiate "illegal" or "legal" immigrant, so no...unless ICE had a warrant granting them authority to enter said property. Then it wouldn't matter if it was the immigrant's property or Captain Kangaroo's.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In order to knock the door in, they would need either a search warrant or "probably cause," i.e, a person screaming: "HELP . . . he's going to kill me."

• 1 decade ago

NO they can't ICE has to respect privacy. and if immigrants don't want to talkk they can plead the 5th

• Joseph
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yes check who your tenants are in future.

• 1 decade ago

illegals can't legal own property. and with a warrant they can knock down the door. -... ....

• 1 decade ago

If they had a reasonable belief that the person they were looking for was in there avoiding them, then yes. Otherwise, they would probably wait.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If they have a warrant then yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.