Can I use polyurethane on painted floor?

I brought paint to paint floor, but did not realize it was satin. Now I want a protection and gloss. Can I use polyurethane, or please advise what else could be used? Thanks in Advance!

• Lene O
    Favorite Answer

Yes you can use it, BUT keep in mind how slippery this stuff is; make sure what you have is rated for use on floors and be mindful of the manufacturer's cautions.

You can usually return unopened paints if they were not custom mixed. The store or the manufacturer can tell you how to fix it too.

Polyurethane will cause yellowing so if it is a very light color you may not like it. If the floor is dark, you won't see the yellowing but it will make your paint look darker. You can try a clear acrylic urethane which is nonyellowing. You may have to scratch up the floor with fine sandpaper prior to using urethane or repainting with a higher gloss. Zinnesser (hope I spelt that right) urethane is an excellent product and you may not have to scratch up the floor first.

Return the paint and buy gloss. No "protection" needed.

Even with satin sheen, a coat of poly does nothing. Paint wears on floors, poly or not.