Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

What do you think about the fact that "psychological coercion" is included in official rape statistics?

The Bureau of Justice includes cases of psychological coercion and trickery in their definition of rape. For example, in 1985 man posing as a Dr. told a rather stupid woman working at a hotel that she had a deadly disease that could only be cured through sex. She consented to sex with the fake doctor, but because she claimed to have been "tricked" through "psychological coercion", he was convicted of rape. So tricking a woman is actually recorded as rape (at the same level as holding a knife to a woman in a back alley).

Do you think that facts and figures are inappropriately skewed by this approach? Or do you think it's right that feminists lump these things together?

Primordial Chaos: She worked the check-in counter at a hotel. She was undoubtedly stupid, but not mentally disabled, since that job can't be performed by someone who is mentally disabled.

Casually defiant: Here's the source. It's a criminal law textbook:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2ipUSeStAzQC&lpg=...

Spanx for Men!: Threats fall under the classification of "sexual assault". These figures only pertain to trickery such as in the real-world example I gave.

Primordial Chaos: I did give a link to the story. It's a small case study in a criminal law textbook that describes how dishonesty can qualify someone as a rapist.

MumTo3: We're taling about adults. If a man tells a woman that he has a dog in his car and she enters his car and there is no dog, that is not "kidnapping". It's only kidnapping if he forces her away in the car.

True Brit: You gave an equivalent example of a threat. He did not threaten her. He lied to her. Very different thing.

Favorite Answer

stupidity have no limits

or as Einstein said :"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity"

sorry I can't narrow the stupidity to a specific group so my answer won't get deleted

they frequently quote 1 in .. I think it's 5 ? 1 in 5 they use now, I think - they did run with 1 in 4 a while ago, based on a now debunked ms. magazine study/survey.. whatever it was. In Canada their headline is "she's got a 50% Chance" their message is 1 in 2 girls born in canada will be victims of sexual or physical abuse. They have a rather tasteless advert that is run on national television that depicts a 10 year old girl receiving a rape whistle as a present .. like a birthday present or something. Are feminists saying mothers should buy their daughters rape whistles ? idk..

I think it's dangerous because it makes it difficult to determine what rape is, and makes it more likely that men will be convicted with no evidence at all, based solely on a woman's word.

• Well, was she mentally disabled?

Edit: look at that chart! Since 1973 rape rates have plummeted. Interesting is the correlation between heightened awareness and protection campaigns and the the huge drop in crime rates....could be just a coincidence. Right?

Where are all these falsely accused rape convicts?

Edit: Well, how about a link to the story?

Its the same as extracting a "confession" under threat (forced confession) or being forced to sign a contract: no free will, no ability to consent. Therefore, these things are not legally binding. Ditto for being unable to consent to sex under similar circumstances - also psychological coercion, no consent given.

Anyone who uses any method to take advantage of a woman, be it by pretending to be something they are not (which is in and of itself a felony) or by holding her down with a knife to her throat, it is still rape.

If a adult tells a child they have a dog in their car, and the child goes with them into said car, are they still kidnapping the child?

Edit: that is YOUR opinion. You were not asking us your opinion. It's obvious what you want us to say, and it sounds to me you're one of those sexist assholes who would do something like this 'story'.

• Wait a minute, I thought women were these strong creatures that couldn't be manipulated?

Her dentist told me he gets oral to cure her toothaches because the semen has medicinal properties.

What ever happened to a second opinion?

Nice source

If that happened to me, I'd consider it rape. She would never have consented without believing the lies he told her.

Would it be more believable if he told her he'd kill her children if she didn't sleep with him?

That, according to you, wouldn't be rape either.

I think that it's more proof that Feminists would go to any extents to show men as perpetrators.