Accuracy: MRA V Transcranial Doppler (TCD)?

Since having a cavernova removed almost six years ago, my (F,39) neurological health (and physical health only on left side of body) have slowly and progressively declined (ataxia, dizziness, numbness, etc.). I believe it is venous insufficiency.

I have had an MRA which showed a 'complete' Circle of Willis, so docs won't authorize a TCD. I would like to have it done, for I believe it is more "specialized". I am not in the medical field, but doesn't this equipment show the % of blood getting-to the brain and the velocity?

Could you please explain what information can be obtained using a TCD?

Thanks so much for your time!

Favorite Answer

Dopplers are to MRAs as rabbit ears are to HD tv.

The MRA is the definitive test.

I believe that there is a lot of junk science being built around so-called venous insufficiency. Make sure you're getting good info!

Dopplers just provide info on whether there is flow in,a vessel, and as.estimate of its velocity.

MRAs give complex modeling of the arterial & venous systems and can show abnormalities.

Source(s): Occupational therapist