maggs asked in TravelUnited KingdomLondon · 1 decade ago

how can i get from london to dublin and what station do i use from london and what doucment do i have to take.?

i would like to go to dublin and i dont want to fly

Favorite Answer

London Euston to Dublin Connolly is £63 standard class return via Holyhead and Dun Laoghaire. Tickets are particularly cheap on the UK side - a standard class return from London is only £8 more expensive than one from Bangor!

See the "SailRail" website at http://www.sailrail.co.uk/ and phone 08450 755 755 to book tickets. SailRail is a consortium of Scotrail, Arriva Trains Wales, First Great Western, Iarnrod Eireann (Irish Rail), Stena Line, and Irish Ferries. The website is a bit idiosyncratic in that you have to enter "London Terminals" as the starting point rather than a particular station, but you can't just enter "Dublin" as your destination - you have to specify a particular station, either "Dublin Connolly", "Dublin Pearse" or "Dublin Heuston" though the DART trains from Dun Laoghaire run through both Pearse and Connolly stations - Pearse is on the south side of the city, a little out of the way but fairly near Dail Eireann and St Stephens' Green, then there's Tara Street station just before the line crosses the river - handy if you want to head straight for Temple Bar, while Connolly is just over the river on the north side, handy for the central bus station, trains to Northern Ireland, the GPO and O'Connell Street. Heuston is the main station if you want to travel to the west of Ireland and Cork, and is about a mile or mile and a half from the centre, you'll have to either use a bus or the LUAS tram to get there, though it's handy for Phoenix Park and the Guinness brewery. If you talk to some older people they may still refer to the stations by their old names from before they were renamed in 1966 after people who were shot after the Easter Rising - Amiens Street, Westland Row, and Kingsbridge stations respectively (James Connolly was famously shot strapped in a chair since he couldn't stand as a result of his wounds at the GPO, Patrick Pearse read the proclamation of independence, and Sean Heuston was a railway clerk who worked in the station that's now named after him).

If you're a British or Irish citizen then you don't strictly speaking need a passport, though one is handy - something like a photo driving licence will do. In the good old days of the 1990s you didn't need any documentation at all, you just told the Irish immigration guy your nationality and walked straight past him.

Do book your travel ticket and hotel in advance - despite the current economic situation Dublin's still a popular destination. I once got off the ferry at Dun Laoghaire and asked the tourist office to find me a room for the night, and the only hotels in central Dublin which still had rooms were the two most expensive five-star hotels, the Gresham and I forget the name of the other one! On that occasion I found out that I quite like the hotels in Dublin 4 (the area near Lansdowne Road - there's a DART station next to the stadium, but it's probably best to avoid Rugby weekends if you're not going to the match!). Try www.booking.com/Dublin to find hotels - there are a lot offering 50 or 66% off their normal rates at the moment, but Dublin hotels are usually quite pricey.

This is a very relevant question for me right now! I am a bit worried that the consensus among the answers seems tilted towards London. I have lived in London for 15 years, but I am currently interviewing for a great job in Dublin, where I have never lived and have no other connections. I have only spent 24 hours there. I wish more people were saying Dublin! it is a bit worring that so many Irish people are saying 'London'... But they are in different leagues, really, aren't they. Which is not to disparage Dublin. London is THE world-class city (dream on, New York!) whereas Dublin may (or may not , I need to find out soon) be a perfectly pleasant little city. There seems to be a fair amount of cultural stuff going on in Dublin, though from what I saw it is not the prettiest place in the world. I'm rambling, I'll stop... I will really miss London if I leave, and I will definitely move back eventually. Maybe that's your answer right there.

• ?

From Euston station get a train up to Holyhead, which is north west Wales. Get a ferry from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire, the crossing takes about 90 minutes, then get the local DART train which runs every 20 minutes to Dublin, which is very near.

Take your passport.

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

As above Virgin Trains from London Euston to Holyhead than ferry. You can book the whole trip on

www.virgintrains.co.uk or at the ticket office at Euston Station. Advance booking is recommended

You will need your passport with you when you travel

• TSK

If either an Irish or British citizen, and do not have a passport a Drivers Licence will do.

Rail to Liverpool, probably from St Pancras, ferry to Ireland you may need your passport.

Be sure to have booked your hotel and ferry tickets in advance.

well do you like the sea?