Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Why does German sound so similar to English?

I don't really understand German, but I was just reading something at the start of this German porno I'm watching right now, and so many of the words are the same, and the structure of the sentences seems pretty much just like they would be in English. It looks like all I'd really need to do to learn the language well enough to understand people and be understood would be to learn the accent symbols and a bunch of the nouns.

Best Answer

American English is the bastard child of every other language on earth.

Dutch, German and English are fairly comparable using reality they're all Germanic languages, in spite of the undeniable fact that using reality English has absorbed this way of passable quantity of French and Latin loanwords (making up approximately 60% of the English vocabulary) that's in many cases hard to look the similarities. using fact the audio gadget of previous English usually originated in southern ingredient of Jutland this time-honored variety of English was some distance in direction of German and Dutch, in spite of the undeniable fact that a great number of all Frisian, which maintains to be the language closest on the subject of English. The English language has been inspired by some distinctive languages over the years, including Norman French (which was spoken in Normandy by Viking descendants who invaded England 1066) and previous Norse (spoken by Vikings who invaded England in the 9th century). No, English and Dutch do no longer seem derived from German, in spite of the undeniable fact that all 3 have a extensive-unfold ancestor.

Both English and German are Germanic languages, meaning they belong to the same family of languages (Germanic). Moreover, Saxon (Low German) is an "ancestor" of English.

Source(s): I study languages.

You think it does?

What you are hearing is the common ancestor between the two.

German and English are related the same way Spanish and Portuguese are...common parent language.

Of course, you're talking about porn...and, well, the language in porn isn't exactly noted for being terribly complicated, if you know what I mean.

Because English is a germanic language.

English people are just a German tribe who migrated to Britain in the early middle ages.

it's funny how Americans steal another language and think it still involves them.. it's becuase the Germans colionised England

Because americans got a lot of words from germany, they based it on german words