Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesJeep · 9 years ago

When I first start my jeep the transmission seems sluggish & the tach goes up to 3.?

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Seems to go away after it is warmed up

Favorite Answer

I strongly believe that it's just a sign of the transmission fluid/filter either being dirty or worn and keep in mind that there is special chemicals that are in the transmission fluid that wear out and cause such issues.Another thing is the vehicles age it's more then likely in need or due to a full transmission fluid and filter change.

Hope that helps and best of luck.By the way it's vital to use the factory recommended transmission fluid and filter kit , plus due to the transmission also being electronically controlled the transmission control module may be required to be put into the learning mode once the fluid/filter is changed.

I'm seriously doubting this is a transmission issue. This vehicle has an IAC (Idle Air Controller) . This basically takes the place of a choke on fuel injected vehicles and is computer operated. These get dirty and you need to clean them from time to time. The IAC should be somewhere between the air filter and the intake manifold. On my 94 cherokee the IAC can be removed and cleaned by extracting the two screws that hold it in place. If you have any buddies that are mechanical at all I'd have them clean your IAC for you and I bet it solves the issue. The IAC only operates when the vehicle is warming up so this explains why the problem goes away after it's up to operating temperature. A dirty IAC causes the cold engine to receive the wrong air/fuel mixture and should account for the sluggishness you described.

• DrkLce

You need a transmission service. Sounds like the transmission is slipping. If you are talking about why the tach goes up high at start up that's normal when the engine first start in the morning to warm up. Higher idle and fuel supply to warm up. Anyone remember carburettors where in pull out a choke to increase engine idle and fuel at start up. Way before ECU, EFI computer control engines.

It's a typical Dodge problem. The transmission is computer controlled. I would take it in and have a tranny shop run a diagnostic on it. It could be a sticking solenoid. Then call me... lol

g