I'm installing a tile floor over linoleum using backerboard. Can i just screw the backerboard down?

The linoleum is in good condition, and has a wood subfloor beneath. I was going to just put the tiles on the linoleum, but i've been convinced to use backerboard from reading online. Can i just screw the backerboard down onto the linoleum, without having to use mortar?

Regardless of whether or not i have to use mortar under the backerboard, how necessary is it to mud/tape the backerboard seams? I've read that the thinset used to secure the tiles in place will be enough to fill the backerboard seams at the same time. How accurate is that?

• rob s
    Favorite Answer

If your vinyl/lino has a thin wood sub floor under it, you should remove it. If the lino is glued right to the sub floor, you can just go over it with a backer board.

And yes you must use a thin set under the backer board. Tape the seams and still apply the proper amount of thin set according to the size of tile used.

All this is according to TCA and ATC ( tile guide lines).These are the proper procedures to follow.

And just filling in the seams isn t what its about, seam taping is to allow the expansion and contraction of the backer board.

You ll here all sorts of thing but I ve followed the American Tile Counsels guide lines for 20 years w/o a problem.

Any questions you can e mail me through my avatar and check my qualifications there. GL

Source(s): 20 years in flooring as a store owner/installer
  • warman

Installing Cement Backer Board

With 30 years of experience installing tile, I have never removed linoleum with hardy-board or Duroc screwed or nailed down every 5-6 inches. The board is secure on the linoleum-no reason to tear it up, just adds to labor costs.

As for the seams, on floors, it is totally adequate to fill in the gaps without tape with the thin-set. However, in showers, you don't want the seams or corners to separate and start to leak, I would caulk the seams with 50 yr. pure silicon caulk to seal it, then seal the seams with thinset athin set the tile. Use quality thinset. I prefer to use marble and granite thinset. It's the best, and it's the most economical as well. Good research.

www.tileexcellence.com

Source(s): www.tileexcellence.com
  • Bonnie

Not if you have a level, cement floor. I installed backerboard in my house because I don't have a slab foundation, but rather a crawl space underneath the house. I think you would be fine with installing the tile on concrete.

yes you can just screw the backerboard down. it makes no diffrence. i do this all the time on my projects and you do not have to tape the seems of the backer board if you use a thinset with acrylic adheasive. good luck hope this answers your question

Source(s): tile setter 10 years