I'm installing a tile floor over linoleum using backerboard. Can i just screw the backerboard down?

The linoleum is in good condition, and has a wood subfloor beneath. I was going to just put the tiles on the linoleum, but i've been convinced to use backerboard from reading online. Can i just screw the backerboard down onto the linoleum, without having to use mortar? Regardless of whether or not i have... show more The linoleum is in good condition, and has a wood subfloor beneath. I was going to just put the tiles on the linoleum, but i've been convinced to use backerboard from reading online. Can i just screw the backerboard down onto the linoleum, without having to use mortar?

Regardless of whether or not i have to use mortar under the backerboard, how necessary is it to mud/tape the backerboard seams? I've read that the thinset used to secure the tiles in place will be enough to fill the backerboard seams at the same time. How accurate is that?