With Carlos Pena & Carl Crawford now gone is it safe to say the Rays are not going to be as good next season?

Favorite Answer

They still have a decent pitching staff. And let's not forget, Pena only hit .196 last year although he put up some good HR and RBI numbers. As we look at the division we have to believe that the Yankees and Red Sox are going to make the playoffs. What the Rays need to do is move out of St. Pete. Go to a place where they will get solid fan support like Tampa or Orlando.

The players can't be blamed for leaving certainly after the Rays owner stated at the end of last season that he was going to drastically cut payroll. If I was a Rays fan I'd be up in arms about management unwillingness to compete. It's confusing to me since the team has been on the right track for the past several seasons.

• frank

I don't think there's any doubt that Tampa wil not be as good this coming season without those guys. But they have a good manager and an excellent farm system, so I don't see them having any more than one or two sub-par seasons, and they will be right back in the fight within a short amount of time...Don't forget, everybody counts the Twins out before every season, and every season Gardenhire and Co. have them there at the end. I think the same thing could happen with Tampa.

They have solid starting pitching and still have Evan Longoria, BJ Upton and Jennings is supposed to be great defensively. With that said, they will be 3rd behind the Yankees and Red Sox. I predict 85 wins.

• Jeff

let me tell you that the rays may have lost those to,joe madden is a top of the line manager.there farm system is one of the best if not the best around.rays will be back,not this year but in the following years.mmw

Source(s): me
  • Rich F

Pretty safe to say that, yes. Also, Bartlett's gone, too. Don't be surprised if they don't dump even more (Garza?)

i hope so because the Rays were too mean to my beloved Yankees last year.

• Ace

No they still do have a solid pitching

• GTAP!!

It is.they won't have their top speed or power.They could finish .500 if they can figure out what to do.

You can't say that yet, they still have their pitching.