When sending a CV is it better to send it in Word or PDF?

I've sent it in Word before and sometimes, depending on what version the potential employer has, it ends up having an extra page with only 2 sentences, weird fonts that aren't the one(s) I used etc. So should I just send a PDF so it always looks the same or should I just know that it's the companies fault when my CV appears as if it were done by someone who doesn't know formatting?

Favorite Answer

I think the PDF is better choice,as it can't be edited by others when distributed,and it has no requirements about the system the computer install,it's just like a electronic paper to read only

This is my opinion heh........

• Ivy

I prefer PDF, it looks more professional to send a CV. The fonts and formatting will be kept well in a PDF document, and the reader only need a free pdf reader to view it.

By the way, you can convert your word files to PDF format in two ways:

A: If you are using Microsoft Office 2007 and above, just download a free "save as PDF" add-in from the website, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

B: otherwise, you can use a pdf creator, I always using simpo pdf creator lite, it's a freeware.

Have a try. Hope it helps.

GOOD LUCK!

A PDF if better because it is a closed format that can be read and opened on any platform. The receiver only needs to have the free PDF reader that almost every computer has. With a word document if the receiver doesn't have word thay can't open the document.

• roh P

It is a good idea to send it in Word format if you are sending it to an agent. Considering that a CV is usually restricted to 2 pages, one cannot always include all ones credentials in it. An agent will usually consider you for several positions and he may need to tweak the CV sometimes to bring out those attributes that is most relevant to a particular role. The word format will allow for this.

Try to write using a universal font that is available as standard on all systems.

With new versions of Microsoft Office (2007 onwards I believe) you're best saving your CV as a pre-2007 file as this will work on both versions.

Even if it is the company's fault, you don't want that ruining your chances of getting a job.

To be safe, you could send your CV in both forms.

Source(s): Experience

Always use word format for CV and resume purposes

Source(s): I hire people

YOU do not have a CV and you'd better stop using the term if you want employers to take you seriously.

A CV is a Curriculum Vitae.

It is used for published professors and academic researchers to highlight their professional publications.

Usually I send it as 2003 word since even wordpad can open that. Just make sure that you don't save it as 2007 word.

Send it in both it gives them the chance of opening it either way.

PDF would be better.It can be shown on any computers.