HOFer Bob Feller enters hospice -- any warm thoughts, memories to share of Rapid Robert?

Bob Feller, 92 and one of the eldest living Hall of Famers, has entered hospice care. Wishing him the best of care, of course, but this is never a good sign.

sigh.

Be prepared for some sad news not far off, baseball fans.

Any good stories about Feller, either during his playing days, or after?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-feller-ho...

• Foxx
    Favorite Answer

Hope he is made as comfortable as possible, met him once at the Smithsonian's dedication of the Baseball exhibit in the early 1980's. Very informative about the game, and shared many stories with folks in the crowd. I didn't talk with him personally, but did listen in on some of his chatting with other stars there-Waite Hoyt, Buck Leonard, Brooks Robinson and some others-it was as if they were young again, and like young men describing various events-Feller played with Satchel Paige, and Buck Leonard had batted against him-that was one story they were talking about, and something about how Bill Veeck owner of the Indians had a rocking chair for Paige in the bull pen since he was a major league rookie at age 42? That's all I can recall. I was a volunteer at the museum then and had to get back to other work.

Source(s): Saw Bob Feller in person and heard him speak
  • Fozzy

While I don't necessarily have any personal stories about Feller, there are a few things that come to mind that impress me.

1. His military service. Not just the fact that he volunteered, but that he never once mentioned any regrets over doing so.

2. The fact that he not only threw 3 no hitters, he also had 12 one hitters. Might be interesting to go back and look at those one hit games and see how close he came. A little luck here and there and he may have had more no hitters than Ryan.

3. The 17 strikeouts in a game at the age of 17 is unbelievable. I know the type of person I was at 17, and the fact that he not only had the physical skill to accomplish such a feat but also had the mental toughness to not be awed by pitching in the majors at an incredibly young age is beyond my comprehension.

I heard that he was on the way to the baseball winter meetings on December 7th, 1941 when he heard about Pearl Harbor and immediately joined the Navy. He was already an established star pitcher and could have played on the Navy's exhibition team, entertaining the troops, but he volunteered for combat duty and spent the war serving on a battleship just like any other sailor.

When i think of Feller i think of a guy that always said Pete Rose did not belong in the hall of fame.

I don't know if he has changed his stance but i agree with him.

Pete is always outside cooperstown during the hall of fame weekend with his little make shift autograph sessions. What a joke he is!

1946 - 42 games started - 36 complete games - 10 shutouts = unbelievable

Great American, Great gentleman, Great HOF'er

I have never heard one bad word about Feller, other than having to face him was a less than pleasant experience.