Has anyone ever given their partner a second chance after they cheated and had the relationship work out?

Backgroud: My boyfriend and I sort of casually dated for about 6months and he kept saying he didn't want to be "official," mainly because he is in a band and he was serious about trying to keep that "image." I liked him a lot for who he was though and stuck around even it was against my... show more Backgroud: My boyfriend and I sort of casually dated for about 6months and he kept saying he didn't want to be "official," mainly because he is in a band and he was serious about trying to keep that "image." I liked him a lot for who he was though and stuck around even it was against my intuition sometimes. He had a very serious drinking problem, drinking every day and night, coming home with cuts/scrapes, no knowledge of what just happened, he doesnt even remember the majority of our first 6 months together...but despite all of that, we really got to know each other well and we grew a lot closer. He finally asked me to be his girlfriend and he completely quit drinking too. Since then we have really been the perfect couple and he is so amazing all the time..the problem is that today he confessed that during those first 6 months and on one occasion recently after becoming "official" he was unfaithful to me with several other girls...some he doesnt even remember because he was so wasted. I'm having trouble trying to figure out what to do..but I really truly believe that he is a completely different person from the guy I met before...and I believe him when he says he will never do it again..he made A LOT of mistakes during that time, and he hasn't repeated any of them yet. He has grown up more than I thought anyone could in that time period and he told me for the first time that he loves me and that the reason he had to tell me now is because at first he didn't think our relationship would last (he thought i would get fed up with him and break up) so he thought he would do the "easy" thing and just not say anything..but now we've grown so close and really fallen in love and he said he can't picture ever being with anyone else and he wants to grow old with me etc...this is all very fresh so its hard to say with any certainty what will happen, but i would like to give him another shot...i just wanted to see if anyone else has done this and had their relationship work out successfully. Or has anyone ever been a chronic cheater and then HONESTLY did a full change and never cheated again?
Sorry about the length of this question...thanks for reading and answering!
(we've been an official couple for over a year now, and its been over a year since the time he cheated on me when we were official)