Debbie asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Will a wire hair fox terrier puppy get along with two adult cats?

We are getting a new puppy in a couple of months. I love everything I have read about wire hair fox terriers, but I am hearing mixed answers as to whether a fox terrier will harm or chase my grown cats. We've cared for my daughter's beagle when they go on vacation and spend the entire time trying to keep him away from our cats and constantly howling at them. Is this the behavior we would get raising a fox terrier puppy with our cats?

Favorite Answer

As someone who has wires and rescues wires, the canned answer to this is NO. Most WFT's do not do well with cats. This breed is an intense terrier--not like a schnauzer or westy but is very keenly prey driven. Yes, there are some wires who have learned to do okay with cats, but it is the exception to the rule. I know personally of a few people who have had wires and thought the dog did okay with the cat, just to come home to find the cat dead or have the cat get out and the dog kill it. If this happens you cannot blame the dog. I encourage you to join a yahoo group for wires http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/wirefoxterrier/ to learn more about the breed from people who have them and ask around on the list--there may be someone who lives realtively close to you so you can spend time with a dog. Think Jack Russell on steroids, except without the same interest in training that a Jack has. These are highly interlligent dogs, but fiercly stubborn and because of that hard to train. They are cute, funny and can be love bugs--but truly only about 5% of the population are prepared to handle one. Maybe you are in that 5%? Please do as much reseach as you can before you bring one of these into your home!

Wire Haired Terrier Puppies

• Fox terrier =/= beagle. These are two completely different breeds (even different groups). Terriers are bred to chase/kill small furry things, and you should expect some degree of that until you begin a strict training regimen. Your puppy WILL go after your cats unless you train it not to do so. Even if it seems okay after you've trained it, you should never leave your cats and dog alone together, unsupervised.

Make sure to provide plenty of vertical space to your cats, so that they're not stressed from constantly trying to hide from the dog. Cat trees or padded shelves are great for this.

• Anon

The dog, when raised with them, will probably do okay eventually, although given how much terriers like squirrels and other small creatures, I definitely wouldn't put constant chasing past it.

Whatever dog you get, set up your home in a way that there's some space the cats can get to that the dog can't.

Whatever dog you get, I'd be concerned about the adjustment of the adult cats. My cat started peeing everywhere in protest when we tried to bring home a new kitten...

• Holly

If the puppy is raised with cats, it could work out just fine.

Keep in mind though, any and all terriers have high prey drives and were bred to kill small animals.

You may want to consider a breed that isn't a terrier or sight hound.

Wirehair Terrier

The dog has to come in contact with cats from a very young age. That way, he will become accustomed and wont have a problem. That applies to anything btw. Also- train the dog about what you will and will not condone with the cat from the very beginning.

I got my dog at 9 weeks, but it had already had contact to cats with the breeder. My dog tries to play with my old cat who wants to be left alone. I tell my dog to stop. They dont love each other and cuddle, but they live under one roof peacefully.

Yes introduce them slowly but soon the cats will become entertained with the dogs funny actions

Source(s): I am an owner of 2 Chihuahuas and a Siamese Cat