Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicJazz · 9 years ago

I love Jazz, Is it normal for a 14 year old teenage girl to listen to jazz?

I'm 14 and i've been hooken on jazz since i heard 'Autumn Leaves' by Cannonball Adderley, but my friends happen to think it's weird, i've even joined the school band ( currently the best tenor sax player in the band, said by the teacher himself) but my friends think im really weird, is it normal for me to listen to jazz music and what does it mean...

Thanks..

Best Answer

Awesome. I think it is great that younger folks are listening to jazz. I mean I think I started listening to jazz when I was 17 or so and I wish I had gotten into it when I was younger.

I don't think you are weird, I think your friends are weird for not giving jazz a proper try. If they are into rock and stuff like that I would recommend these albums or bands:

Miles Davis - B¡tches Brew, A tribute to Jack Johnson (the complete sessions are great but I wouldn't give them too a novice)

Billy Cobham (great for drummers)- Spectrum, Shabbaz, Total Eclipse, Hiram Bullock Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix (Billy is the drummer on this)

Al DiMeola is a great guitarist and I would recommend him for guitarist friends.

The Bad Plus is great they take a lot of rock songs and make 'em jazz. Perfect starting point.

Impulsive! Revolutionary Jazz Reworked (basically hip-hop remixes of old jazz classics) another great starting point.

Jazzmatazz is somewhat similar to the Impulse thing but mostly rapping

Bird Up - The Charlie Parker Remix Project similar (Serj Tankian does a great remix of Birds of Paradise)

Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters (very funky)

Mahavishnu Orchestra (Billy Cobham was the drummer)

John McLaughlin another great electric jazz guitarist (also was in Mahavishnu Orchestra)

Nils Petter Molvaer, somewhat industrial and very modern

SMV: Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller & Victor Wooten all really great bassists that released an album Thunder which I highly recommend.

However make sure your friends are somewhat willing to check it out.

I hope you continue down the path to listening to new music especially jazz. If you are ever looking for recommendations feel free to PM me

Source(s): Music lover (of all kinds jazz is just one of my many loves)

Hiya (: I'm also a 14-year-old girl (weird coincidence!) and I love jazz also! Granted, I also listen to 60, 70s, and 80s rock, but I love jazz too! I'm in my school's jazz band and so is my twin brother. We are the best trombonists in the band. (: Lovee the tromboneeee. And I want to learn sax (: But anywho, I listen to jazz. I'm also part of my school's show choir.

It may be a little abnormal, but I don't care and neither should you. Let's just enjoy some good music and not the crap people normally listen to, like rap ;D

Source(s): My musicallly influenced life. (:

It's normal to like anything that catches your ear musically at any age. Is it normal for a guy in his 50's to like some rap? :)

I first got hooked on Jazz when I heard my step-father's Miles Davis "Four & More" album when I was 11. I started buying my own jazz records soon there after - through middle school, high school, all the way to today where I still love Jazz and pretty much all forms of music.

No, it's not weird. It's certainly not common, but you will find that you have a broader taste in music and will better appreciate the differences in musical genres, because jazz has a way of opening the mind through the ears.

My did listens to "cool" jazz (lot's of L.A. stuff, like Brubeck and Kenton) when I was a kid, but I was too bust with rock and roll. In my early 20s, I began to have an interest in jazz. Then, one day, I heard "Giant Steps" by John Coltrane and my life was never the same.

Keep going with your exploration. The trip will be wonderful.

Psh, hecks yeah. I got into jazz when I was about 12 or 13 and yeah, my friends did think I was a little weird, but then I joined jazz band and went to jazz camp (yes, yes, band camp...) and I still love it! Don't let your friends make you feel like you're weird or something you like is wrong. And it doesn't mean anything, really... You're not like, reincarnated from some big band player in the forties xD

Source(s): Jazz pianist and alto saxophonist

Well f@ck your so called friends, If they cant apreciate that somebody has a taste on his own instead of always doing what the crowd does...

Your real friends will accept you what you are.

when i was 14 i listened a lot to Miles Davis and Frank Zappa, and the few people who accepted me then are today still my friends. The others are today boring accountants and dull housewifes.

I think your friends are weird if they say or even think you're weird.

What's weird is people who only like what the mainline media magnates want us to all think is popular.

And I have a 14 year old son who likes and listens to and plays jazz, too.

And there's such a thing as good weird, too.

yes its completely normal for a 14 year old to listen to jazz. there is nothing wrong with that! and if your friends are making fun of what kind of music you like..then they're technically laughing at what you are. thats not really "friendly" .

maybe not normal, but totally cool im 16 and i love jazz and classical music

You go girl ! visit http://www.maryfettig.com and see how far a gal can go !