Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 1 decade ago

Will these antibiotics work for anything?

A few months ago, my dentist gave me a large prescription for amoxicillin. I have a lot left over, so I was wondering if that would help with my sinus infection and stuffy nose, or if I need new meds entirely?

Favorite Answer

I am not an expert, but these antibiotics can help if the symptoms you are describing are leading to a darken yellowish to green mucous discharge and throat irritation or inflammation. However, you should be careful with taking antibiotics freely it could be over kill and it can lead to other problems like immunity to the drug. Meaning it may not work on the needed infection now or in the future. Moreover, the over use of antibiotics can lead to stronger strains of infection as well as stronger antibiotics needs. Antibiotics can lead to imbalances in the digestive tract mainly the colon which may lead to an increase amount of a bacteria (and diarrhea) known as Clostridium Difficle Diarrhea or C.diff. It is a very bad bug and can lead to dehydration and other problems. (This would lead to other antibiotics that need to be used to combat it or digestive problems.) To be safe it would be wiser to check in with a physician. Even if you do take them, it may be needed, you could also tell him/her you started on the antibiotic regimen and he/she will tell you to either stop or continue and be able to provide the proper meds needed. I hope you feel better soon.

No, don't use it. Antibiotics need to be used in accordance with a doctor's instructions.

This isn't because there's any danger to you, it's because such improper use of antibiotics can contribute to the breeding of infectious agents with enhanced immunity to the antibiotic. There are a number of antibiotic resistant infections going around today, that are the result of such misuse.

Don't use old leftover antibiotic prescriptions. Get a new one, from a doctor, and use it for as long as the doctor tells you to.

Medical personnel will tell you NOT to take the leftover amoxicillin. However, amoxicillin is a good broad spectrum antibiotic and should help with the sinus infection. If indeed, what you have is a sinus infection, and not just a cold or allergy.