Do NFL players play overseas?

Is it anything like the WNBA where they play overseas when the season is over?

@baud I know the WNBA is a womens league. I was just wondering it the NFL season was similar. Meaning as soon as the football season is over they go overseas. But based on the other answers, I'll take that as a NO!

Favorite Answer

there used to be an NFL Europe, I don't know if it is still around anymore though, I haven't seen it or heard about it in years.

young guys who didn't get drafted sometimes went to europe, older players who wanted to extend their careers would go to europe. with the cfl, the indoor football league and another new league on rise, there are too many opportunities to play football here for a player to want to go europe.

and all the players are complaining about too many injuries and don't want longer seasons with an extra bye week, so they definately are not going to europe to play and risk hurting themselves when the talent level is likely way below them

The WNBA is a womens league. ;)

NBA players play overseas in the offseason in international tournaments. The best players from the NBA for a team that represents the United States against national teams from other countries. NBA players would not be permitted to sign a contract with a team in Europe and play for pay during the offseason.

NFL players don't play like NBA players in the offseason because there are no international tournaments for American style football.

• Ben

No. One reason is that there aren't any other decent leagues out there. The other reason is that football requires a decent off season to recover. It's not like basketball where you're tired after the season's end. This is a sport where players are bruised everywhere when they finish a season.

No, there are rules against them playing strenuous sports in the off-season, for fear of them injuring themselves. One player (I can't remember who it is right now) got in trouble for playing flag football last off-season.

Most play in the Japanese Professional American Football League.

I would very much doubt it as America (and maybe Canada? I dunno) are the only country/countires where Amiercan Football is played at a decent standard, if at all.