what is a falafel? Lol x) Please help?

What is this??? Also, what is hummus?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hummus is not cheese. It is a spread or dip made from chick peas.

A falalfel is a ball or patty made from ground chickpeas and/or fava beans. Falafel is usually served in a pita, which acts as a pocket, or wrapped in a flat bread known as lafa. It is from the Middle Eastern cuisine.

• 9 years ago

I have seen so many falafel recipes on the net and I am always surprised by most the recipes because it always appears that these people giving the recipes never actually tried to make them themselves, so i will tell the trick so whenever you see a recipe you will know if these people actually made it themselves, the first trick is you need to use flour in the mix to get it to bind together, second is you do not want to use can chickpeas and the third is use baking powder to get them to puff so they will not be dense after frying and make sure to never use baking soda because that will make them taste bitter, other than that, go to town with the ingredients and make sure you use any kind of beans you want for unique flavors, lots of onion and garlic and a ton of parsley and add water to if you need too to get the right consistency and make sure you use all your natural juices like the parsley juice depends how you grind the soaked beans and the vegetables.

Source(s): self
  • -
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Falafel is like a veggie burger except it's deep-fried, usually made with chickpeas (garbanzo beans) although other beans such as fava beans can be added to the mixture, and seasoned with green herbs.It is served with bread and hot sauce in Morocco, a popular low-cost street food. Hummus is chickpeas that have been blended with sesame seed oil, crushed garlic and seasoned with salt and sometimes red pepper or other seasonings. It is used as a dip.

• 9 years ago

Falafel is not INDIAN it is middle eastern and is eaten widely in the middle eastern countries, nothing to do with india.

Falafel is very popular in the Middle East as a fast food. Vendors sell it on the street corners in Cairo. As a main dish, it is served as a sandwich, stuffed in pita bread with lettuce, tomatoes, and tahini. As an appetizer, it is served on a salad, or with hummus and tahini. Falafel is a favorite among vegetarians.

I absolutely adore it and if Idon't fancy a meat sandwich I have this delicous treat with pitta bread and salad!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

A falafel is a patty made with cooked beans and flavouring. You make a thicker paste and fry them in a bit of oil.

You can get a falafel mix at your health food store, or even in the grocery store.

You have them in pita breads, with hummus and tzatziki and tomatoes and lettuce.. maybe some hot sauce.

Recipe from 'epicurean.com' which you can google.

Ingredients:

l lb. foul beans (Can substitute fava beans)

1 bunch parsley

10 cloves garlic

1 onion

6 hot peppers

2 tsp. dried mint

1/2 tsp. soda

1 bunch coriander

1 oz. water

Cooking oil for deep fat frying

Directions:

Soak beans overnight. Wash and drain thoroughly. Grind beans, parsley, onion, garlic and peppers in meat grinder. Put in a large bowl and add mint, soda, salt and water. Mix thoroughly. (Mixture can be frozen at this point if desired.)

Shape into 1 to 2 inch patties and cook in very hot oil, about 1 minute or until vigorous bubbling subsides. Eat as is or make into a sandwich.

Hummus is a dip made with chick peas and lemon and garlic. You can add a bit of cumin..

Recipe./

1 can of chick peas. drain and rinse. put in food processor.

juice from 1 lemon add to

tsp cumin

tbsp tahini [can substitute p butter, though not as good] [tahini can be bought bulk at health food stores, or in a bottle in the supermarket. It's also good to add to brown rice, multiplies the proteins so you get all the amino acids.]

3 garlic cloves chopped very fine.

1/3 cup oil.

Blend until smooth. You can use a blender for this, but you have to be careful you don't overheat.

This is my recipe. I've been making this for years, got it from some Greek guys.

I use falafel mixes, though I gave you a recipe from epicurean.

• Lori J
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Both are made from chickpeas.

Falafel is Middle Eastern/Israeli. You grind up the peas, season, make balls or patties, and fry.

Hummus is a dip -- puree the peas, mix with tahini, garlic, or other seasoning and eat with pita, on a sandwich, etc.

• 9 years ago

Small croquette of mashed chick peas or fava beans seasoned with sesame seeds

It's generally an arabic or Lebanese dish

• 9 years ago

they are both made of chickpeas

falafel is ground chickpeas with other spices deep fried and eaten as a sandwich with tahini sauce ( dont worry it doesnt taste like chickpeas it delicious)

and hummous and a dip made of puree chickpeas lemon juice tahini sauce which is sesame seed oil and other ingrediants

• 9 years ago

falfael is a indian food,

and hummus is a type of cheese

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.