A good DSLR camera for someone with mid-level photo experience?

I have been doing photography for years with a film SLR. Well, now that I have a baby on the way, I don't see myself being able to spend a few nights a week at the community college's dark room, but want to continue my photography. I'm looking for a good mid-level DSLR. I would like one that already has... show more I have been doing photography for years with a film SLR. Well, now that I have a baby on the way, I don't see myself being able to spend a few nights a week at the community college's dark room, but want to continue my photography. I'm looking for a good mid-level DSLR. I would like one that already has a flash, but with a hot shoe for when I'm ready to purchase a flash.
The Canon EOS Rebel T2i was suggested to me, but I'm not sure if it's the right one. What is the best camera at any price, and what is the best camera under $1000?
Any suggestions on camera's or what to look for in a DSLR is appreciated.
Thanks!