Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How and why did Dorothea Lange photographed the Japanese Internment camp?

How and why did Dorothea Lange photographed the Japanese Internment camp?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Lange got her start documenting the plight of the dust bowl farmers under the WPA project. She had a true talent for documenting people and places in a way that brought out their innate humanity. She documented such diverse communities as the workers who built the Hoover Dam, the poverty of the Appalachian people, the pride of the Japanese community despite their unjust treatment at the hands of the government and the beauty of natural and man created landscapes.

Lange was not a liberal in the derogatory sense of the word in use by the other poster she was a humanist in the traditionn of Arnold Genthe and Jacob Riis.

• 1 decade ago

How? Well how do nosey journalists get anything done? I cannot answer that I'm afraid, not my department.

Why? Because she was a so called do-gooder who carried the bag of altruism to mask her own liberal minded beliefs - which unfortunately is what a lot of journalists are like - secret politicians who have microphones and cameras.

I guess you could make the arguement that Lange was actually a true patriot, and was disgusted at how the Japanese who were American citizens, were being mistreated and the US law was not protecting them, but that's a bit of a stretch.

Others put down the political thoughts, and find that Lange was just an opportunist at best, who happened to know nothing except how to take pictures with a camera. She went where the drama was. First she was known for hanging out with the indians in the south-west and 'recording' their 'struggles.' Then when the Great Depression hit, she went back north to take pictures of people suffering in the streets. She went from one opportunity to the next, eventually ending up in the case you've asked about with the Japanese.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.