Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 10 years ago

Okay, so what is Wikileaks?

Like I really don't know what it is.

Why so much controversy?

Favorite Answer

Wikileaks is a website created by Julian Assange, containing tons of documents that tell the locations of military bases and places that only the government knows about for the country's protection. It has an encryption key of 256 numbers, so even the government cannot get into it without it. This website is releasing bits of information at a steady rate each day. Wikileaks is definitely extremely dangerous, because not only does it have all of these prestigious locations, but it has the names of spies, soldiers, and other sources around the country; these locations and these people are the biggest targets for terrorist attacks. In fact, the potential terrorist attack(s) that could come out of this situation would be so big that it would make September 11, 2001 seem like nothing. As if this wasn't bad enough, Julian Assange has released this encryption key to tens of thousands of his followers, who are threatening to release every bit of the information in their website if any harm or imprisonment comes to Assange. However, even though they say that they haven't released any information and aren't planning to as of right now, the information is already out there; once it's out, it's out. Out of tens of thousands of people, it's HIGHLY likely that someone has already spread the word about that information to someone that's a threat to our country, possibly someone as big as Bin Ladan. And I'm not trying to play the "What if, what if" game, but anything's possible. To sum it all up, I guess you can say our country is in some serious jeopardy right now.

Source(s): aol news, my parents

It's an international new media non-profit organization that publishes submissions of otherwise unavailable documents from anonymous news sources and leaks. Mostly the controversy is over leaked military and national defense documents that are supposed to be kept secret.

Go figure, wikileaks on wikipedia. Google is amazing.

Sarah Whoknows is terribly misinformed. It's not Top Secret data .... it's sensitive at best. And it's information that the public HAS A RIGHT to know. You're telling me that our government who represents you and me can kill innocent civilians in another country and cover it up?! Just to "keep us safe"?

Get the hell out of here.

That's the most unamerican thing I've heard.

basically its top secret information from all the governments and if the information gets in the wrong hands, we could be in danger. it all got leaked by this one guy who has insides inside every country or something so now everyones like screwed

If there were a Maury Povich of the political world, this would be it.

• It's how HIGH ranking Democrats currently feed operational intelligence to the enemy.