Carbon Capture from atmosphere?

Well, I am doing my FYP which is to find a new method to capture co2 from the atmosphere. I thought of some methods like, Freezing air...or...utilising a compressor to increase the concentration of co2...

Can anyone give some new and fresh ideas?

I really appreciate it!! =)

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

I've noodled about with the idea of package units that have low temperature solar thermal collectors to provide the heat for an MEA absorption cycle: MonoEthylAmine has a very useful CO2 absorption curve, the difference between the temperatures at which it absorbs and releases CO2 being readily manageable, and MEA is regarded as a "relatively safe" chemical, its primary use is now as a wood preservative, supplanting creosote in things like telephone poles and railroad ties for this purpose.

The cycle works as this: MEA with low CO2 at low temp is sprayed through a stream of CO2 bearing air, absorbing much of the CO2-The low temperature high CO2 is pumped into a pressure chamber where it is heated, releasing the CO2 into the chamber which is then removed using a compressor-The high temperature low CO2 is then cooled to go back to the start of the cycle.

Power has to be provided in the form of work to drive the pump and the compressor, and net heat transfer is required to heat and then cool the MEA. The work requirements are low compared to the heat requirements, so optimization of that aspect can be deferred to the refinement stage. Regenerative heat transfer by exchanging heat from the high-temp CO2 poor MEA to the low-temp CO2 rich MEA will reduce the net heat flow but there still must be heat input and output, hence the low temp solar thermal collector idea. Heat sink selection would be site specific.

This does not address the problem of returning the carbon to sequestration. That is the $64 Question.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Why look for new ideas if you can't improve on existing ones?

I like the potassium-carbonate capture scheme.  Air is circulated past a solution of potassium carbonate (K2CO3), which reacts with CO2 and water to form potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3).  At 100-120°C, the bicarbonate breaks down to K2CO3 and CO2.

There are lots of ways to generate heat in the 120°C region, including solar absorbers.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Plant more trees instead of chopping them down, it may be the old fashioned way to absorb carbon dioxide, but we produce it the old fashioned way also. You have a good by product, the wood from which you can build things. The issues with artificial capture is either the energy used, or if using solar, the energy would be far better used instead of carbon based fuels. See also birth control, the Vatican is changing it's stance on this issue, but only a bit.

Source(s): HND Electronics UK
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.