The Holy Spirit, what is it and is it a person?

Is the Holy Spirit a person, and if so who is it?

Definition: The Hebrew word ru′ach and the Greek pneu′ma, which are often translated “spirit,” have a number of meanings. All of them refer to that which is invisible to human sight and which gives evidence of force in motion. The Hebrew and Greek words are used with reference to (1) wind, (2) the active life-force in earthly creatures, (3) the impelling force that issues from a person’s figurative heart and that causes him to say and do things in a certain way, (4) inspired utterances originating with an invisible source, (5) spirit persons, and (6) God’s active force, or holy spirit. Several of these usages are here discussed in relation to topics that may arise in the field ministry.

What is the holy spirit?

A comparison of Bible texts that refer to the holy spirit shows that it is spoken of as ‘filling’ people; they can be ‘baptized’ with it; and they can be “anointed” with it. (Luke 1:41; Matt. 3:11; Acts 10:38) None of these expressions would be appropriate if the holy spirit w

with it.

None of these expressions would be appropriate if the holy spirit were a person.

Jesus also referred to the holy spirit as a “helper” (Greek, pa‧ra′kle‧tos), and he said that this helper would “teach,” “bear witness,” “speak,” and ‘hear.’ (John 14:16, 17, 26; 15:26; 16:13) It is not unusual in the Scriptures for something to be personified. For example, wisdom is said to have “children.” (Luke 7:35) Sin and death are spoken of as being kings. (Rom. 5:14, 21) While some texts say that the spirit “spoke,” other passages make clear that this was done through angels or humans. (Acts 4:24, 25; 28:25; Matt. 10:19, 20; compare Acts 20:23 with 21:10, 11.) At 1 John 5:6-8, not only the spirit but also “the water and the blood” are said to ‘bear witness.’ So, none of the expressions found in these texts in themselves prove that the holy spirit is a person.

Favorite Answer

The power of god, no it's not a person

The words Holy Spirit in the bible are translated from the Greek words Pnuema Hagion. Pnuema meaning spirit and Hagion meaning pure or holy.

When used together, there are two usages of these words, one is to signify God who is The Pnuema The Hagion and so should always be depicted in the bible with capitalisation of the intial letters (something the versions of the bible fail to correctly do). And the second denotes the gift of God also called holy spirit but alwys in the lower case.

God is The Holy Spirit and as such is spirit. He is the creator of all things including all spirit.

The gift of holy spirit is the gift God made available because of Christs sacrifice and it is a spirit that any human can accept and it is Godly and it is the power of God.

It is also the salvation, the life eternal, the cleansing of all sin, the redemption, and many other things.

God is considered a person. Although He is spirit. The angels and Devils are all people in the same sense. They are individuals with the power of thought, who have free will and independant thought and other aspects that would make them 'people' in that sense.

The gift of holy spirit is not a person. It is a part of a person. It is a part of the person that receives it and becomes part of their very being.

Jesus said the Holy Spirit is a Person.....

15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[c] in you......“All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."

John 14:15-17; 25-26

“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me."

John 15:26

But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”

John 16:7-15

• Greg

The Holy Ghost is the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity.

Though really distinct, as a Person, from the Father and the Son, He is consubstantial with Them; being God like Them, He possesses with Them one and the same Divine Essence or Nature.

He proceeds, not by way of generation, but by way of spiration, from the Father and the Son together, as from a single principle.

This link will give scripture and tradition (including beliefs of early Christian martyrs) about the Holy Spirit, and pretty much everything you could know about it from a website (as opposed to personally/spiritually):

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07409a.htm

The Holy Spirit is the personal love of the Father and the Son for each other.

The Holy Spirit is the third divine Person of the Blessed Trinity.

There have been three major attributes of God.

1. God our creator.

2. God with us.

3. God in us.

Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Adam lost his eternal life and those that would come from him when he sinned. Our eternal life is restored when when we believe in Jesus.

Jas 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Source(s): Opened Bible

..." and God said let us make make in our image ( as we are ) ....and he breathed into him the breath of life and he became a living spirit ...." ( paraphrased)

your spirit is WHO you are ...your mind is how you think and reason .. your body of flesh is the vessel you live in on earth - if any one of these is separated from the other you no longer function , you are dead.

when you become separated from your body you do not cease to exist .

that which does not exist cannot have existed to cease existence.

so to answer your question -

The spirit of God is God ! just as the spirit that is you who asked this question ... is you !

and the spirit that is you thinks and feels and reasons from within the flesh body you dwell in .

Big Daddy, Junior,and the Spook are all imaginary. But the best way of thinking of the so-called Holy Ghost is the Force. It is all around us and is created by life.

Ignore the midiclorins explanation of the Force

• I Try

He is the third person in the God head and the bible tells of all His attributes that He holds independently of the father or the Son.

• Mr

Holy Spirit is the messenger of God. Not a God.

Angel Gabriel