Atheists; Why do you think Evolution is a fact, or it disproves Creationism?

Evolution is a theory, not a fact.

Why do you think it disproves Creationism, even if it was a fact?

Best Answer

1. Yes, evolution is only a theory. That is why it is called "the theory of evolution", isn't that obvious enough? Atheists have to say it's a fact because they reject God, and there's no other alternative. Science disapproves evolution in many ways but the atheists have to keep their mind close. You must be clear on this.

2. Evolution is NOT fact. Creationism makes more sense than the pseudo science of theory of evolution.

Heliocentricism is a theory.

Graviton (gravity) is a theory.

The Brønsted-Lowry postposition that acids are proton donors, and bases are proton receivers, is a theory.

The largest problem is that the way the lay person uses the term "theory" and "proof" are not the way women/men of science and mathematics do. In mathematics, a proof demonstrates that something will always be so, such as in mathematical induction proof where a geometric sequence is set equal to a function. Where K=K+1 is show to be true for the sequence, the statement is therefore true, always. It is a logical imperative that it is so. Period. The general public uses proof and evidence in the same way, however they are not the same thing. Evidence are what theories are constructed out of, and add to the likelihood that a premiss is true, but do not "prove" it to be so.

Thus, saying evolution is a theory, therefore it is false is a fantastic act of ignorance. Do other people exist or are they figments of my imagination? I can't prove that they do, so I'd construct a theory in which I'd place my evidence that other people are not imaginary. I never hope of 100% proof, but I strive for it with the expectation that I will never reach my target.

We have a great deal of evidence that evolution is true. We have evidence from geology which is quite damning for creationism. We have yet to find Oryctolagus cuniculus (the common rabbit) in sedimentation layers fossilized with dinosaurs, for example. We have the mathematical evidence that algorithms designed to show differences and similarities between organisms form a hierarchal family tree off life when looking at the DNA of different creatures. There is the evidence from Embryology. If you look at a whale fetus, it has legs while in the womb, but as it grows, these legs shrink until they are practically nonexistent.

None of this DISPROVES that there is a god who created everything, it simply is not evidence for such a claim. It is, however, evidence that we evolved, just like every other organism on the face of the planet.

I think the geological argument, why we don't find rabbits fossilized with dinosaurs doesn't "disprove" (again, I don't like the word proof here, it doesn't belong) creationism, it is EVIDENCE that everything was created at once is false.

The theory of evolution and evolution are two different things

World English Dictionary

evolution (ˌiːvəˈluːʃən) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n

1. biology See also natural selection a gradual change in the characteristics of a population of animals or plants over successive generations.

This being the case evolution is a fact and then you have the the Theory of Evolution

Definition:

Theory of Evolution- an extremely low budget poorly rated B movie I saw on the Syfy channel

Evolution does not disprove creationism. Atheist like to say because that have no other way of disproving God or creationism

• Graham

Evolution is a fact as much as gravity is a fact. Both are observable and measurable occurrences in nature. The problem is, we don't have a solid fact about how either of them work.

Gravitational Theory has been developed and changed over the years, but hasn't been made a fact. Of course, no one would make the claim that gravity itself isn't real.

The Theory of Evolution explains evolution as a result of natural selection. The every popular example would be that humans have most likely evolved from an ape-like ancestor.

Evolution greatly contradicts and cannot work with creationism simply because creationism is the doctrine that matter and all things were created, substantially as they now exist. Meaning, humans were always humans, fish were always fish, birds were always birds ect.

You could argue that evolution doesn't disprove the existence of a god. Just as long as the god didn't create life as we know it today.

• ???

Evolution disproves the thought that all animals on Earth were just willed into existence 6,000 years ago. The thought that all life slowly changed over hundreds of millions of years cannot go hand in hand with "God made 'em all the way they are now". Evolution is a theory, just like cell theory, germ theory, or the theory of gravity. Theory is the highest level a hypothesis can achieve. A fact describes an event that happens. A theory explains a law, or a fact, happens. How much about evolution, or science in general, do you actually know?

You're right, evolution is a theory.

And right now the theory of evolution is a model that attempts to describe natural fact. Based on the vast amount of data gathered about how species come to be, and how traits pass from one generation to the next, the scientific community drew certain conclusions about what that data means. So while the theory itself might not be 100% accurate, it's still our best interpretation of how the world actually works (fact).

It doesn't in and of itself disprove creationism, I'll concede that. However, it does provide an alternative answer as to how the species of the world, in all their diversity, came to be. It makes creationism not the one only possible answer to that question, and posits that some divine influence isn't strictly necessary for biological diversity and the rise of new species.

There is a lot of evidence to support the evolution theory and it makes sense.

It does not completely disprove creationism. It just disproves a literal interpretation of the bible, because it means life was created over millions of years rather than a few days.

There are many Creationists who still believe the evolution theory.

Not all atheists believe evolution is a fact. But it seems to be the most likely explanation for the diversity of life on the planet.

• Eddie

Hi, I'm an atheist. I'd like to talk to you all about generalization. You see, I do not believe that evolution is a fact, but I ,in no way, believe in creationism. Even if evolution was a fact, I also don't believe that it disproves creationism. Creationism doesn't need help disproving itself. So please...don't generalize.

Source(s): The More You Knooooooww!
  • I don't think it disproves creationism. I think creationism disproves creationism. It's freakin ridiculous. Evolution is a fact though, that is backed by mountains of corroborating evidence from all scientific fields involved. Only the idiots claim that , "it's just a theory". Gravity is a "theory" and I'm sure you don't think that it's a wild guess that sh!t falls towards the earth. You would probably consider that to be a fact, wouldn't you?

I'm not an atheist, and I don't think evolution is a fact. But I do believe in it because evolution explains some key information about this world that I find lacking in creationism:

1) The Earth is way older than 6000 or 10000 years old.

2) God did not create species like modern birds or us out of nothing, like by magic. Otherwise, explain the fossil records. Better yet, explain why God would allow so many genetic diseases?

I don't feel strongly enough about Evolution to argue the fact point with you.

But I can tell you why I don't believe in Creationism. If you use the Bible as your source for Creation, then if you follow the timeline in the Bible man has only been on Earth 6,000 years. We have actual mummies older than 20,000 years. I can see mummies, I can understand the science behind archeology and I trust archeology. I don't trust a book.

I understand the Big Bang and how physics and chemistry were used to create the universe. I don't understand supernatural magic tricks (the earth was just created because god is magic and made it so.)

I can trust science because I can test it, I can see it, I can experience it and it makes sense to me. Therefore I trust Evolution to be fact much more then the theory that a supernatural magical being just created things because he could.